1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jennjay, May 22, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now that I own 2 of these cars, I have a question which I should have thought of earlier. Down here in Florida a regular car battery only lasts 2-3 years due to the heat. It has always been easy enough to either go buy a new battery and install it or go to any place and get a new battery after a jumpstart. In the case of the Prius I'm sure it's not that simple. Batteries are probably only available from Toyota, which can be inconvenience and I probably do not want to monkey with car, myself, to change the battery. Thoughts, anyone??

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect you could find a replacement 12V battery at the normal places.....it's just a little smaller than most of the batteries in cars. Changing it doesn't appear to be that difficult, either.

The HV battery is another story.....

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ May 22 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]259459[/snapback]</div>
    But you won't have to worry about that for about a decade.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ May 23 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]259459[/snapback]</div>
    Please note that Toyota genuine battery comes with vent pipe connected to the outside of cabin.
    My recommendation is Toyota genuine battery, Mazda Miata battery or Optima battery.

Ken@Japan

5. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Hmm, when I saw our battery I noticed it was an AGM battery,but didn't see any vent pipe. I just assumed they allowed the venting to enter the cabin. With AGM it's no big deal.

6. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian K @ May 23 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]259563[/snapback]</div>
    Now as far as battery's go, heat does kill the life of a battery, but it should be covered under warrenty... i would also like to say if you have tinted windows and put up a sun sheild, the inside of your car will be much cooler (im in georgia its hot here too). both batteries are in the car... life expentancy is higher?

Now, i have a few question...

whats an AGM battery, is that like a lead acid? your "standard" car battery?

Whats the battery you have to worry about gas vapors?

7. Brian K

Brian K New Member

An AGM battery is Absorbed Glass Mat. The electrolyte is in a fiberglass mat that contacts the lead plates. The result is a very rugged battery with little electrolyte. Also very little outgassing; substantially less outgassing than a standard flooded lead/acid battery. One problem with them is that charging voltage must be precisely regulated, if it's "off" the battery fries rapidly because of the small amount of electrolyte in it.

When I say AGM batteries are rugged, think like F-14 jet fighter rugged. Seriously.

Probably a google search would tell you more if that isn't enough info.