1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rgevans871, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rgevans871

rgevans871 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the life expectancy of the hybrid battery? What is it's replacement cost, including change out labor? Does the battery warranty prorate the replacement cost of the battery depending on it's age as most conventional battery warranties do or is it a full replacement cost up to the expiration date of the warranty? I'm a prospective buyer trying to do a life cycle economic assessment of the cost of owning a Prius for a period of 10 to 12 years with 120,000 to 150,000 mile. I'm anticipating that I'll need to replace the battery sometime during this period.

Ron.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In big city taxis, the Traction Battery (also called the High Voltage battery or Hybrid battery) averaged 275,000 miles. Regular owners driving 100 miles every single day would not have reached this yet. (The oldest Prius in the US is the 2001 model year)

Every Traction Battery from 2004 on, is under non-prorated warranty for the first 100,000 miles, (in states with Califonia smog laws, it is 150,000) so it would be 'free' to replace the battery before 100,000. One in 40,000 Prius have had warranty battery replacement. (Once out of warranty, Toyota will pay $200 for old batteries so they can recycle them)

The cost of a 'new' battery is almost irrelevant, as far more Prius are totalled in accidents than have the batteries wear out. Starting at $350 on ebay you can get a used Traction Battery.

It is possible you COULD wear out the Traction battery in 150,000 miles, but I would not bet on it. (Priuschat recently had an owner's battery fail at 105,000 miles, that's bad luck)

The 12volt battery, like many car batteries, should be expected to last 4 years. As it does not drive a starter motor, 12v battery failure may not be as obvious in a Prius. You may wish to read some 12v threads.

2 people like this.
  3. rgevans871

rgevans871 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like battery replacement may not have to be considered in a life cycle analysis for a 10 to 12 period with only 150,000 miles driven. I suspect the determining factor in this type of batteries life is the number of times it has been recharged and if they're still in service after 275,000 miles that number must be quite high. Thanks again for you're input.