1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery replaced, realistic expectations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Anroga, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Anroga

Anroga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all. I have a 3rd gen prius, with 75k miles. I had been getting about 38 MPG for a while, which from what I read here, could be better. (That's while being very mindful of my driving style, but maybe I'm just bad at pulse and glide etc.).

Anyway, I got a display message that the hybrid system had some problem, took it to a toyota dealer/service center a couple of times and they ended up replacing the hybrid battery (under warranty), and also replacing the "computer" (not under warranty, $326) because it was "fried". (Don't know what he meant by "computer" or "fried").

I'm getting my car back today, and was wondering:

Do they replace the hybrid battery with a brand new one, or a reconditioned and tested one?

Will I likely see an improvement MPG?

Should I expect to get a significantly longer life out of my prius?

What computer would they be refering to?

Thanks.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i would hope the battery computer . I dont believe the Toyota Dealers network allows Rebuilt Batteries at present time.. realize these cars have inherent moisture issues and youve a med sized battery sitting under plastic tray . exposed to the said moisture and it helps speed the corrosion process creating havoc between all these modules linked together under that cover..

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you owned it?

8 years on the oem battery is unusually short, you should get at least that out of the new one if it is new.
    in the us, they are, but you'd have to ask toyota about puerto rico

how long has mpg been 38? it could improve, but there might be other problems. many things affect mpg, including driving style, climate, topography, trip length and speed, etc.

regarding longer life, your biggest danger is a blown head gasket. the egr system is a weak design point, and needs to be thoroughly cleaned and an oil catch can added.