1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery SOC increases with cooler temps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mainerinexile, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bought my Prius in April, now seeing the effect of cooler temperatures during fall here in New England. Interestingly, we've noticed that the battery SOC is trending up as the weather cools. The battery has been almost always at 1 bar less than full for the past month. Is this typical for fall/winter?

I would think that this trend would contribute to lower mpg due to less assistance from battery, making the cooler weather drop in mpg worse.

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi MIE,

Yep, that is what the Prius does. The car will keep the SOC higher in cooler temps.

The main cold weather drop in mileage is cold tires, bearings and bringing the engine up to temp, only to shut the car off shortly thereafter....

It actually helps out with Pulse and Glide mileage. As your not flirting with 2 bars so often....

1 person likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The -main- cause of the traction battery SOC rising is you begin to use the heater. If the coolant temp is below about 64C the engine will run (it's then a gasoline heater ;) ). It takes quite a while to get a Prius to warm up the coolant above 70C - I find on the GII it needs DRIVING (above 60 km/hr or 40 MPH) for 5 min or so. If you are in the city, this can be hard, due to lights etc. In that case 15 min of city driving.

Anyway, because the engine is running more often, there is more charge generated and put into the traction battery so the SOC tends to run higher.

4. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    AND, the AC is used less....

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What mode(ECO,NORM,PWR) do you normally run in?

6. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mostly ECO mode

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "ECO" Same here. This morning we had our real first snow (~25 degrees) on the ground and traffic was 55mph (normally 65-70). My SOC by the time I got to the parking garage was two bars. Lower than normal(4-6 bars). I was able to glide much more @ 55 than normal which accounted for the lower SOC.

What I am getting at is I don't think you can directly associate a higher SOC with lower temps. There are so many other variables.

8. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I expect you are correct. I was originally asking if the computer was bumping up the SOC intentionally as it senses lower outside temps, but the previous explanation that the engine is running more at cooler temperatures is probably the right answer, leading often to a higher SOC, but not necessarily always as you point out.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lower temperatures are not necessary for a higher SOC, but they are sufficient. The increased operation of the ICE for heat often produces a high SOC in my Gen II Prius.

Tom