1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery suddenly dead, the fix looks strange

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rickcoup, Nov 3, 2007.

1. rickcoup

rickcoup Junior Member

I have a 2005 prius, it has about 29000 miles now.

It's been working well until last Monday when I started the car at my company's parking lot in the evening. The brake light and check engine light are both on. The battery was completely drained in the day. It was fine when I drove to work in the morning.

My dealer had never seen it before. After contacting with Toyota, they changed my big battery and the associated computer.

After the battery is changed, the battery bars on the LCD is always green (most time). Before, it's alway blue. I suspect it's not installed properly. If I drive with cruise control at 30mph, the battery is in the only power source in charge. If I drive with cruise control over 35mph, the engine is the only power source in change. Any idea about this?

Thanks!

2. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rickcoup @ Nov 3 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]534483[/snapback]</div>
    Not really understanding your post as its worded weird ( try re-writing your post) but it sounds like the dealer changed the Hybrid battery and now its green alot ( fully fully charged) and at 30 MPH your able to drive in ELECTRIC VEHICLE ONLY ( a great thing) till 35 mph then the ICE comes on. Normal. That sounds just like my 2007 car when I drive it perfectly and its nice and warmed up. Congratulations! You got a brand new hybrid battery! How long have you owned this car?

3. rickcoup

rickcoup Junior Member

It looks like you understand my original post correctly.

I have owned the prius for 2.5 years. If you look at other posts on the forum. It shows most prius usually have 6 or 7 blue battery bars instead 9 green ones. It's designed like that because 70% battery charges is best for the battery life.

How do your 2007 prius battery bars look like?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the battery is 80% charged the indicator will show full, all green bars. When the battery is at 40% charge the indicator will show empty.
    The indicator works over the usable range of the battery only.

Good that the battery has been replaced, sounds like all is good now.
    Bracing now for the doom sayers to join the thread.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if the car runs, the battery was installed correctly.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A computer software update will change what you see.

Originally, my 2004 rarely ever showed green (above 6 bars). Now it does on a regular basis.

7. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rickcoup @ Nov 3 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]534498[/snapback]</div>
    I look at other posts on the forum all the time. I have green bars often which means my state of charge is high very high and can go EV if I know how. It took me a while to know how. Sounds like you have new software on board which is showing you a higher state of charge than you are used to or you have a NEW BATTERY! Enjoy and EV as much as you can. Its alot of fun.

8. rickcoup

rickcoup Junior Member

Thanks for all your posts!

9. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

First time I've read of someone needing a new battery, so it's not common. Sounds like everything is good now.