1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery temperature and MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daniel, Apr 23, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know if there was a way for Prius owners to track the temperature of the HV battery before the CAN-View became available, but I believe I'm seeing a connection between the HV battery temperature and the ease with which it goes into electric (so-called "stealth") mode.

We all know some of the other ways temperature affects electric mode. The engine must be hot; the cabin heater will inhibit electric mode, etc. But what I'm seeing is that even when the engine is fully warmed up, if the battery is still cold it is very hard to "feather' it into electric (though the EV switch will work) and if the battery is cold, it takes less accelerator-pedal pressure to kick it out of electric mode.

This all makes sense since a cold battery cannot deliver as much current as a warm one.

Greater battery capacity means better mpg. We know this from the folks who have added extra batteries. HSD is designed to improve mpg by (among other things) buffering the supply and demand for power between the engine and the wheels. It makes sense that additional battery capacity would improve mpg, as demonstrated by the modified Priuses; and it makes sense that a cold battery has less effective capacity than a warm one.

What this means is that a Prius which is driven more miles per day, will have its battery warmer (current flow heats up a battery -- any battery, due to internal resistance) and will go electric more easily, and will also get better mpg.

We have always known that short trips are an mpg-killer, because during the first 5 minutes the car is burning more gas to heat up the exhaust system for pollution control. But now I am suggesting another factor: That there are three characteristic mpg intervals, rather than two:

The first 5 minutes, when the car is burning more gas to heat up the exhaust system.

The next 20 minutes or half an hour (depending on ambient temperature and cold-battery temperature) when the engine does not need to run constantly, but the battery capacity is less.

And then the rest of the driving day, when the battery is hot. -- The middle stage is probably a gradual rise from the first to the third, probably not a discrete "stage."

Conclusion: This could explain why some folks get close to the EPA numbers, or occasionally more, while others are stuck around 45 mpg: I postulate that people who get really high mpg are those who put on more miles per day, and those who suffer the frustration of relatively low mpg are those who drive fewer miles per day. In Fargo I probably put on 8 miles most days (downtown and back from my apartment) and my mpg ranged from 29 in the depth of winter to 45 in summer, while here in Spokane, where I am driving more miles I've been up around 50 mpg, but days when I just drive to the store and back, I take a hit. And this week my mom came to visit so I was driving a lot, and yesterday, with about 150 miles on the tank, it hit 54 mpg, my best ever.

Perhaps some way of keeping the battery warm (an electric battery-blanket?) would be a big mileage booster.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hate to steal your thunder (ok, actually I don't "hate" it, but....) but I I posted something nearly identical several months ago. Basicly, I totally agree. I've been contemplating a small heater, perhaps something adapted from a hair dryer, but I want something low wattage that would simply maintain the battery temp at around 60-65 degrees F. The dense pack takes a long long time to warm up or cool down (as the case might be), but if you allow a 48 hour cold soak in near freezing temps the performance plummets. Kept in the garage and used daily there's very little impact on performance.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...hl=Battery+Temp

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've noticed a decline in performance in really hot summer days if the car is parked in the sun until the battery has had a chance to cool down. This is independant of AC usage.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This could explain why those with the EV button can (if they use it) get better mileage because if they soley use the battery on startup, it'll create some heat.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 23 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]244123[/snapback]</div>
    Despite all the talk of how the internal resistance of the battery causes it to heat up and such my experience is that using EV doesn't really have that much of an impact. It isn't like you can engage EV with the battery at 40 degrees, drive for 3-4 minutes in EV and have the battery up to the 70 degree range...maybe it'll be up to 42 or 43 degrees....it takes a very long time to heat up.

For instance, this morning with outside air temp about 60 my battery was at 82 degrees at start up, it was at 89 when I put it to bed 12 hours earlier. I drove the kids to school, drove to the grocery store, drove back home, and it's up to a blistering 86 degrees.

If you read my first post in the thread I linked to above you'll see just how long it took to get the battery temp up in really cold weather.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay Evan. Well, you had the CAN-View long before I did. However, I do see a big drop in battery temp after sitting overnight in my unheated (but not very cold this time of year) garage. It's been around 55 or 60 degrees when I start up, and has gotten up to 80 degrees or so after a long drive. And I see a big difference in the ease with which it goes into electric mode between those two temps.

Maybe an electric blanket to keep it warm? You wouldn't need to apply heat, as much as prevent the heat from leaving it. Of course, the problem is it needs to be cooled while in operation, and a full-time blanket would prevent cooling.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 24 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]244214[/snapback]</div>
    I had two things that turned me off of the blanket...one is that I don't know how much wattage it uses, but suspect it's a lot. I'd like something that uses the same or less power than the EBH-- ~400 watts. I think that's particularly important for the battery since, due to its density the heat would, for the most part, need to be applied continuously. Heating it from cold would require a tremendous amount of time and energy.

And the second concern is the same as yours, the insulating issue when the air is cold and the battery warm is fine, but clearly air flow would be restricted and heat kept in during normal operation and it wouldn't be easy to take off and put back on.

Ideally I imagine a small device that either attaches to or replaces the vent cover and is triggered by a thermostat in the battery and would come on blowing ~80 degree air over the battery and maintain the temp in the 60-65 degree range. I'd like a power cord to run up through the firewall and plug in at the same place as the EBH.

I've put a bit of thought into this, but don't have anything to show for that. I'm just not familiar enough with what is out there that could be used to accomplish this project. I'm open to any other suggestions.

Also, the fan driven heater could probably be used in the summer as well...just without the heating elements. If battery temp reaches a certain threshold the fan would trigger...the only problem is you'd be blowing hot cabin air over it which might not do any good.

8. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My cabin heater warms the battery enough to be useful. I put it on about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour before I leave. Anything more might be hard to do. If the battery is heated directly it may be difficult to keep all cells the same temperature.

I use a regular Holmes ceramic heater with fan. Turned off now for the summer. When I started using it the extra stealth mode was great. I didn't do it for that but to just warm the cabin and melt the windshield of ice.