1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery tender usage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Elreq, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Elreq

Elreq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I drive my 05 everyday, my commute is 59 miles round trip. I was thinking about using a battery tender like this *12 Volt-1 Amp* Charger and Maintainer

My question is mainly is it ok to plug it in everynight even when i am driving it every day.

And secondly if i were to do this would i need to plug it in directly or through the terminal in the fuse box.

i am not experiencing any problems i am just trying to avoid/ slow the death of the batteries!

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if u drive it everyday there is no reason to ever, use a battery tender, it serves no purpose, unless the prius is not charging properly or u do not use it daily, which is not your case

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius does charge the 12 vdc differently than other cars. It uses a constant voltage source, which may not always be appropriate. If the Prius is in use almost all the time - think taxi service - then it's perfect.

The very first winter with my Prius, I had trouble with the 12 vdc battery. Of course, -40 temps, headlights always on, electric defrost, and Max Heat all managed to suck the life from the battery with a 15 min commute to work

I put in an older model VDC Battery Minder, and that solved my problems. SO I got into the habit of always using the unit. It helps that I had a condo with secure underground parking, and now a home with an attached garage, to use the Battery Minder

Considering the much higher cost of a replacement Prius 12 vdc battery, the use of a Battery Minder to extend the life may be appropriate.

4. Elreq

Elreq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that is one of my thoughts, extending the life of the battery with the new minders and there pulse thingy. as it is i have no complaint or problems with the battery other than it is normally running in the blue not green on the battery. i dont know maybe thats normal.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving the car as you do, a tender for the 12V battery would be harmless but completely unnecessary. The display with the colored bars shows the state of the traction (big, 201V) battery, not the 12V battery. A tender for the 12V battery will have no noticeable effect on the traction battery or on your MPGs.

Blue in the display bars is perfectly normal. The traction battery is supposed to be only partly full most of the time. It manages itself, there's no need to worry about it or try to do anything with it.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As Richard stated, that is perfectly normal. The battery state of charge on the screen is for the NiMH traction battery, not the little 12 vdc battery

The car will manage the NiMH battery just fine. If you routinely do short trips, especially in sub zero conditions, or leave the car parked in the garage upwards of 2 weeks, the battery minder will be a good investment

7. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was told that you should connect the battery tender directly to the 12V battery located on the right rear of the car to charge it.

Since you are driving your car everyday, as forum members suggested, there is no need to plug in the battery tender. When you go on a long vacation...plug the tender to the batt.