1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery to protect user changes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Fraser, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Haven't seen this idea anywhere, so...

We know that when the 12-volt battery is disconnected, all the mods regarding backup beep, seat belt beep, etc., return to default. To avoid this and retain the mods, is there a way to connect another battery ahead of the existing battery so that the mods retain status? And where would such a connection be made?

Would a 12-volt battery be required, or could the same thing be accomplished with a smaller battery pack?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I have one of those combo jump starter/air compressor, safety light gizmos. I connect the jumper cables from that to the jump point under the hood when I disconnect the main 12v. then the system stays electrified and no presets are lost.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I haven't tried it with the Prius but with other cars you can connect a 9V battery through a diode. It will hold the radio presets etc. I've seen this device sold in stores as well. Usually they are designed to just plug into the cig. lighter, but that wouldn't work with an unmodified Prius (the aux. power and cig. lighter plug goes off with the power). As Evan suggests, the underhood boost point is a good spot to connect.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 9V won't work unless the car is in IG On mode, and, I suspect, that would deplete a small 9v unit like that very quickly. Using the under-hood jumper allows you to leave the car off and uses very little juice to keep the presets active.

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good Dr.,

The Prius does NOT have to be on IG On mode for a keep-alive battery to keep the settings in the radio & other electronic gizmos. Otherwise, when you turned your Prius off, the settings would vanish.

When I did my battery replacement, I attached a small 12-Volt adaptor to the jump point under the hood. That kept all my settings.

One thing you DON'T want to do is attach a high-current source of 12V to the jump point when changing the battery. (Something like another 12V car battery, or one of those jump start packs can supply a large amount of current). This is because if you happen to short your (disconnected) battery cable to the ground of the car, your external 12V power source will provide LOTS of current and blow a fuse somewhere (probably the 100 Amp fuse in the battery terminal unit).

If you use a low-current source, then you'll simply lose your presets (and, if it's not a current protected source, it might blow too). But, you won't have huge amounts of current flowing, and you won't blow Priu$ fuses.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please read carefully.
    I quoted and responded to a question specifically about using a small 9V jumper of the sort that plugs into the in-car power point/cigarette lighter. for those to be active the car does, indeed, need to be in ignition on.

Had you read my first post I specifically advocated leaving the Ign OFF and using the under hood jump points with a 12v source.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I should have more carefully read the second half of your post.
    I think caution is, indeed, indicated, but I would still prefer a 12v source like the jumper. I removed the negative lead for the 12v I was changing out and put a rubber glove over the exposed ends specifically to prevent any sparking/shorting.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This has been discussed in previous threads. Any good 12V battery can be temporarily connected to the jump posts while you replace your existing battery, thereby saving your settings.

Tom

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. I have a couple of lab power supplies available, and can set the maximum current delivered by the power supply for this purpose - 0.1A should be enough when the car is IG-OFF and no lights are on.

We should also talk about why the battery is being disconnected. If this is being done to replace an old battery with a new one, then it makes sense to hook up a low-current auxiliary power source to keep the various user settings alive.

If the battery is being disconnected to make it safe to work on the car (for example, you are working on the SRS system or the hybrid drivetrain), then you would not want to have an auxiliary power source maintaining voltage on the 12V bus.

10. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Covering the negative lead of the 12V battery (after you removed the battery) won't help.

It is the positive lead that you need to condom-up real good to protect it from hitting any part of the grounded car body.

And, I missed that the 9V battery would be plugged into the cigarette lighter - if that's the case then you're right - it won't work with a Prius (or pretty much any Toyota).

11. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you attach a large 12V battery (like a car battery or one of those 12V jump packs that has a high-current lead acid battery) to the jump post while replacing your battery, then you have a positive lead (that you took off of the battery) flopping around. If it hits any part of the car body, then you have a direct short that will blow the 100 Amp fuse. IIRC, those suckers aren't cheap (~$65 or so?)

12. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the quick replies. I've read the first 11 posts at this point,and they all give me good information.

Specifically on the jump starter...I'm asking the question for a friend who doesn't get on PC (shame on him). I think he is concerned only if he has to have the battery replaced, or if he does that himself. Am I to understand that a basic jump starter, attached to the posts under the hood, will be suitable to keep the presets and mods? I'm thinking that if he has a shop do it, he can ask them to be sure and do that. Or he can do it himself if that's the way he goes.

13. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A quick heads-up:

I have disconneted the 12V battery twice on Amapola, a 2008 model.
    Neither time did I loose the GPS, radio, or driver's window auto-down thingy.
    Don't know about the back-up or the seat belt beepers.

From watching many posts on this, in my opinion there seems to be a
    difference in how the early Gen II Prii -- 2003,4,5 -- and the later ones --
    2006,7,8 -- handle having the battery connected. It seems like Toyota slipped
    in some kind of sneaky fix along the way.

FWIW.

14. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    so this hooking something up to keep the settings thread won't do anything to make the airbags fire? i thought i heard something about waiting 30 seconds or something when disconnecting the battery to make sure the air bags are de-energized. just wondering about it

15. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is absolutely nothing you can do with the battery that would make the airbags go off.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 9 volt battery to the cigarette lighter works for other cars, why wouldn't it work for the Prius? I think it feeds just enough power through the radio to keep the presets, you need to leave the car off so the 9 volt transistor radio battery isn't trying to feed all the systems on the car. I also suspect it will hold the personal settings, who wants to give it a try?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't work b/c the cig lighter/power outlets are disabled when the car is off....can't get juice from them or feed juice through them on the Prius. Other cars leave them active and that's why the little jumpers work.

If you do a mod on the outlet to keep it always active you could then use the 9v.

18. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hadn't thought about using the cabin's 12v plugs for a low-voltage connection, since I know that they are disabled when the power is turned off -- my GPS immediately goes to its own battery power or powers itself off. My thinking was that something like a 9v unit connected to the under-hood battery posts, as you suggest, might supply enough juice to save the presets and mods. If so, that might be a more portable and probably cheaper workaround.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cheap possibility is to run wires from the old battery to the jump points, if you can attach and keep them in place while disconnecting the old battery from the car. The old battery would have to be stone dead to be incapable of preserving the presets. As always use a voltmeter to guarantee correct polarity.

20. rusty houndog

rusty houndog mountain rider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This technical article illustrates and describes an interesting 12 volt battery swap and an alternate source to keep from losing settings that rely on continuous 12 volts. Even if the swap does not interest you, the method of maintaining the 12 volt signal is pretty complete. Notice that Hobbit does NOT use a full sized battery as the continuous 12 volt level; bright flashes and flying sparks are very expensive when using a Prius as the source.

You notice I emphasize 12 volts; 9 volts is NOT 12 volts and wont do the job.

[ Prius 12V swap ]