1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery troubles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sheree, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 2009 prius on 2/14/19. The prior owner had the 12v replaced early 2/19 after it did not start after work.

On 3/4/19 the car would not turn off. I took it to the same dealership. Was told I had left something on a drained the battery. Totally plausible since the car workings were new to me.

Everything ok until 3/26/19 when care would not ready. Got the car to the dealership again. They found that the hybrid battery had been replaced at some point (before the owner from whom I purchased the vehicle bought it) with an after market battery and looked like it had been done by an unskilled, inexperience technician or amateur mechanic and this totally messed up the computer and possibly the wiring harness for the hybrid system and fixing all that plus buying a new battery would be more than the car is worth, if it was fixable at all. Also, they found that the car had been in an accident and there was structural damage.

My questions are; wouldn't the diagnostic equipment the dealership used in early February, 2019 automatically detect a problem with they hybrid battery? Or, is the diagnostic equipment used for the 12v different than that used for the hybrid battery. Should the technician who diagnosed the bad 12v checked the hybrid battery too to make sure the problem was only the 12v.

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

i wouldn't trust them on this. take it to another dealer, or better a hybrid shop if you can find one.

i'm hoping it is just a bad 12v. in the meantime, have that checked at an auto parts store or buy a volt meter.

log on to the toyota owners website and plug in the vin for service history, and get a car fax for accident history.

all the best!(y)

SFO likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that you should get a second opinion. But lots of people do mess with the batteries thinking that they can fix anything and just really goober it up. So it's likely that that's your situation.

If there is a problem with the 12V battery, the testing equipment for that is very basic and doesn't interface at all with any of the car's computers. So they would have no idea if there were impending problems with the traction battery.

New Toyota traction batteries are going for about $1,600 plus installation now, so that' snot bad if the rest of the car is in good condition. Another option is a near new, but NOT REBUILT traction battery, or the kit offered by @2k1Toaster here on Prius Chat.

Also, you mentioned that one time the car would not turn off. That's often cased by a failed capacitor in the combination meter (CM) which is the display for your speedometer and other stuff up there. Generally, people can turn off the car in that situation by holding the power button for several second. If that is the problem, the CM will eventually go dark. There's a member here who refurbished CMs and sells them very reasonably it you discover that yours is failing.

Hope you can get it sorted out without too much fiscal pain. Welcome to Prius Chat.

SFO likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt you'd find a mechanic who will sell you a battery for $1,600 + installation. $1,600 is close to the wholesale price.

They would likely charge retail price of pack plus installation. So more like $2,600. Give or take.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't actually checked since I haven't needed to. I was just going from what I remembered of several anecdotal reports here on PC.

6. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I talked to 2 other dealers, my nephew who os BMW mechanic, researched the Toyota troubleshooting site and manual. I found the some answer each time; when the car was dead in early February when the previous owner took the car to the dealer, since the triangle warning light was not on or any other warning that the problem was the hybrid battery or that matter, there was no need to test the hybrid battery. The tech did a load test (I think that's the right term. I don't have the details in front of me at the moment) the 12v was in fact dead. He took all the steps one takes to diagnose a dead battery as one would do on any car. That I understand. The battery wad DOA so was replaced. So, seems the tech did everything right.

I have the car fax. The car was in an accident in July 2013 but the accident was not reported until December 2013. The car was serviced multiple times after that. I called each dealer and garage to find out what they did. Either the only thing they could tell me was what I saw on the carfax, mostly alignments and oil changes or they had no record at all. They was one battery change and some body work. Still waiting for a call back from that dealer to find out what battery and what their body shop fixed.

Here's the kicker, at some point the car went to auction. I don't know why a car would go to auction. I thought it was because there was something really wrong with the car but I'm getting multiple answers when I ask mechanics and dealers. Have not yet asked my nephew who I trust but will when he is off work. Anyone have info about that you can share? Anyway, I called the car dealership that sold the car to the previous owner. Not a Toyota dealership but a one man shop. I pressed him for info. He didn't really want to give it to me but I'm pretty tenacious. He told me he bought the car at auction did all the diagnostics he always did, brakes, 12v, oil, etc. I specifically asked of he checked the hybrid battery and actually put his eyes on it. He said he used his scanner and found that the battery was ok and since the red triangle was not on, he didn't feel the need to do any further checking. He did not look at it. I researched scanners and found out there are different types. Some will not actually show an error code and thus give a tech a reason to check the battery. It seemed to me that this man did more than the bare minimum and sold the car to an unwitting buyer. He kept telling me to bring the car back to him which is 2 hours away, pay him $80 and he will check it again. I think not since the dealership jere has already established that the hybrid battery is toast. He was adamant that anything that could have happened to the car happened in the 8 mos since the previous owner bought it. Side note: I didn't tell him I already knew the battery was bad. I wanted to know of HE knew that before he sold the car.

So, I don't know if I'm just an unlucky person and a battery that had been put in wrong finally pooped out 6 weeks after I bought the car, or the person I bought it from knew about the accident, etc. and didn't mention anything. I find that hard to believe since the dealership had just looked at the car when they replaces the aforementioned 12v. Or, the last car dealership knew there was a problem and sold it anyway. Or, worse yet, all the bad things that happened to the car just were never detected by all the dealerships and mechanics that worked on it and it was just time for the battery to give out during the short window I've owned it.

I have no problem putting in a new battery but I'm already into the car for $7000 and there's no guarantee that will do the trick of there are more problems due to the accident. I will get a full report from the dealership showing what they found when they found out the battery was dead and the car had been in an accident on Monday. I have insisted the report go into minute detail. Then I will have a better idea of I should get a second opinion or cut bait amd buy a new car. I'm leaning toward the latter. I'm tired.

Sorry for the long winded story. I'd like to hear opinions on different mechanics' techniques, any similar experiences you have had and what you did and if you think I should give up and buy a new car or keep pressing and if I find out who messed up the car, was dishonest or a bad mechanic, take them to small claims court to hopefully recover some of my money.

Thanks

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  7. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Almost 96000.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a great research job, that is (y)

what is your financial situation?

#8 bisco, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! You should be a detective! No wonder you're tired.

I wouldn't want to try to guess who knew what in this case. And I'm not sure it's possible to know or would do any good if you found out. I think what you really need to do is to determine exactly what needs to be fixed and if those repairs are worth it considering the age and general condition of the car. Unfortunately, unless you have the right tools, a diagnosis isn't free, although I've known shops to deduct the diagnosis cost from the repairs if you have them fix the car. It may be that the best thing is to take your lumps and sell/trade it. The other extreme seem to probably be that the traction battery is the only thing left to fix and you could get a slightly used (not refurbished) one for $1000-1500 and enjoy the car for several years. Or something in between.

Skibob and SFO like this.
  10. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm nothing if not thorough

I could do a new car it it wasn't the most expensive. No new prius, we already have one, and I'll have to give up my dream of having a BMW. I'm looking at a Yaris. Good enough for a while then reassess. I had a Nissan for 25 years so I'm not afraid of taking care of a car as long as I have control over it's maintenance.

This has soured me a bit and might be willing to take the loss for peace of mind as soon as I've exhausted all options.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a plan. i think i would do the same.

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear your story, if you check around you will see several posts of people that have recently bought a Prius and had traction battery problems, it’s nothing new here. It seems people get rid of their Prius when battery problems start or get the 400 dollar Craigslist battery repair and sell the car, or trade it in why is probably why yours was at auction. How well do you know the person you bought the car from?