1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery warm (119F) 4 hour after death triangle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dongfang, Jul 22, 2022.

1. dongfang

dongfang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 Gen 2 Prius, and I ever replaced one HV cell by myself.

Now, after 2.5 years, I have another bad cell as I got death triangle, and Fault Code P3000-123 and P0A80 .

But this time, something is not expected:

1. After parking in the company underground garage for a full day,(everything is cool), 6PM, when I pull my car out, the death triangle appeared. I stopped the car immediatelly, started looking the FC in my Android Torque App.
    2. I saw the FC P0A80 and cleared it.
    3. I noticed that, the HV battery temperature 2 was about 40C (104F) at that time. and when I drived it home, it reached 42C(108F), HV battery temperature 1 and 3 were about 3~4 C cooler than 2.
    4. I parked my car at home, 4 hour later, 10PM, when I checked the car again, the HV battery temperature 2 reached 48.3C (119F), HV battery temperature 1 is 44C and HV battery temperature 3 is 45C.
    5. I thought the three HV battery temperature sensors were wrong, however, the next day, all of them came back to normal reading.

It seems I was facing a thermal runaway, and now I'm wondering what shall I do now? after replacing the issue cell, what else shall I do?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would inspect all the modules and connections for corrosion. and re torque all the nuts

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clean the HV battery fan if needed. Run the A/C on high if the outside temp is over 75 or 80F. Buy an infared gun to locate the hot module(s).

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe all this would end and be uneventful if you just replaced the HV battery and it might be good for many years but you may not want the car for many years so you're willing to hobble through until you can buy that dream machine I don't know.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the battery temperatures were too high, then it should run the fan at high speed before it set any codes. And it should set a different code than the one you have.

You have a P0A80- the battery ecu set that because it saw excessive voltage difference between the battery blocks. Why not use your scantool and monitor voltages?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yesterday I went for a drive- ambient of 95F (35C). Didn't run the A/C. Dr Prius reported the battery temperatures of around 115F (46C). The fan hadn't even turned on at that point.

I used Dr Prius to make sure the fan can work - it does. In the 2 years & 30k miles I have had this car, I think I have heard the fan come on twice.

Point is, that Toyota engineers don't consider 46C to be worth bothering with, so a few degrees higher isn't a "thermal runaway". I would think that more aggressive fan control would extend the battery life, but otherwise I don't worry about it at all.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. dongfang

dongfang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally, by replacing a cell, the problem resolved. It seems there is a battery internal shortcut, and one of the batteries (of that cell) burned all the energy when it became bad. nothing else got impacted.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah sounds great. Now watch it for a couple of days because I don't think that's normally how this plays out but. Let it rip obviously 119° 4 hours after the red triangle and what does this mean 4 hours after you opened up the battery replaced whatever you replaced and put it back together it's still 119°. I don't think so or it's sitting in 110° weather outside already to begin with. So you're in like California out in the midwest heatwave I can believe that I don't think my battery sees much of $119° temperatures sitting in the sun with the windows rolled up which is like a no-no for me but I'm just saying. my battery is exposed I can feel the temperature anytime I want to open the hatch or flip the seat down and put my hand right on the case and on the bottom of it and I do this pretty regularly I know it pretty much any condition about what my battery temps are running always just because