1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fljones3, Dec 10, 2011.

1. fljones3

fljones3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just brought a new 2011 Prius. Love the gas mileage and trying to adjust to accelerating for good mileage. I am averaging 48 mpg currently after 2500 miles.

This has probably been asked but could not readily find it. Does the batter y indicator ever register 100%? It came to me 2 bars from the top and it is still 2 bars average. The highest it has ever went is 1 bar from 100%.

Perhaps it does not matter?

Frank

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PC :welcome:
    As far as getting the SOC indicator to read 100%, you would need to be going down a long hill. During that kind of coasting, it will look topped off. My understanding is that the HC battery is never quite charged at 100% and there is a bleed-off process.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably will only see 100% when going down a long, fairly steep hill. Even with all bars lit, it still is not 100% full. The car will take care of itself, no worries.

4. fljones3

fljones3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the welcome. I actually read a lot of the forum before purchasing the Prius. :)

5. fljones3

fljones3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the help. I will not worry. Just an engineering type who can get consumed over details that do not matter :).

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to the club. It's called PriusChat, and we meet here every day.

Basically, the battery serves as a bit of a buffer; when you have excess energy (braking, going down a hill, warming up the engine, etc.) it stores some. When you need more energy (avoiding using the engine in a parking lot or traffic jam, occasionally while accelerating, etc.) it uses some. By default, it'll hang right at 6 bars, or 60% SoC. The "full" battery icon is really only 80% SoC, while the "empty" battery icon is only 40% (IIRC). And yes, that means those bars are not all equally-sized.

In general, it's a bad thing to either use the battery or charge it. You want to use only the engine, only as much as you need and no more. But that's not always possible, so the battery helps in those less-ideal conditions.

And this is the point where somebody else jumps in and says "Oh for chrissake... It's a car. Just get in and drive it." And that's fine too.