1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joyce Howell, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Joyce Howell

Joyce Howell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 98,000 miles. Anybody know an average lifespan for my battery?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many have gone over 200,000 miles. I don't think there is enough data to give you a good average.

Tom

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mileage does not seem to be as much of a factor as the duty cycle profile of the mileage and age of the battery. Some of the following is theoretical, some anecdotal based on what I've gathered here: If the battery regularly experiences rapid charging and discharging across much of the display range due to the driving profile, then one should expect it to fail sooner. An example of this would be living in the mountains with long steep grades that rapidly pull the battery to the controller's minimum on climbs, then charge it to the controller's "full" limit during regen on descents.

Surprisingly, cabs have routinely reported going hundreds of thousands of miles without battery problems. One might expect that their stop and go driving might be somewhat harsh on the battery as compared to open highway, but that does not appear to be the case. But it might be the magnitude (amps) and length of the draws/charging that makes the difference rather than number per distance driven.

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It might make sense to have a dealership run the HV battery diagnostic on it before it is out of the 100,000 mile warranty. That could give you piece of mind for the near future, and if anything did show up it would be covered under warranty.

Sarah Dollison likes this.