1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battle of the Ask-a-Nurses

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 27, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The battle of the Ask-a-Nurses. Or: Insurance companies are fighting back.

When I lived in ND, the big hospital & clinic conglomerate, Meritcare (for which, by the way, I have the greatest respect in terms of quality of health care) had a free ask-a-nurse line. You could phone a toll-free number, night or day, 365 days a year, and speak to a nurse if you had a health question. The problem was that the answer to your question was nearly always to advise you to come in and see a doctor. Sometimes a very narrowly-focused and carefully worded question could get you a useful answer, but most often they just told you to see a doctor.

It recently came to my attention that here in WA, my health insurance company (Lifewise) also has an ask-a-nurse line, and when I phoned to ask for advice regarding some discomfort in my throat when swallowing, I actually got useful information: after determining that I had no fever and the symptom was less than a day old, the nurse advised me to wait, as a doctor would most likely just send me home. She told me to see a doctor if it persisted for 48 hours or I developed a fever or other symptoms.

Here's my take. Maybe this is obvious:

The nurses working for the hospital were instructed to tell everyone to see a doctor, because the hospital makes money when you make an office visit. The nurses working for the insurance company were willing to tell you when your symptom did not warrant an office call, because the insurance company makes money when you refrain from seeing a doctor.

It's nice to have some balance. And for a hypochondriac like me, it's useful to be able to get advice other than just "Come right in."

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm, i know a lot of people in health care and its actually the opposite. they are all very overworked, extremely short-staffed and simply have no time to see people who simply dont need to be seen.

that is why the nurse line is there. its to hopefully head off unnecessary trips to the emergency room which is where most people go. but at the same time, they are purposefully wishy washy simply because of our litigious society which prevents them from giving their true opinions on your issues.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not really that simple, but there may well be some substance to your conclusions.

For instance, my wife, a pediatrician, has used at least 3 different nurse call services over the years. Some she paid through a hospital group agreement, some are funded via the primary insurance carrier for our hospital.

Some places I've worked all the calls were answered by nurses in the ER (not many do that any more), and for her clinic her nurses answer the calls.

I'll tell you that we all have more than enough business so there's little incentive to unnecessarily encourage people to come in. But when calls are answered through hospital staff nurses they often give advice 'off-the-cuff' based upon experience. This can be good, but it also tends to increase that nurse's liability...she tells you you don't have to come in for your sore throat and you end up with a life threatening airway problem it's her butt alone on the line in that mal practice suit. If she tells you to come in and you don't...then it's your fault, if you come in it gets her off the hook.

Now days MOST nurse call services operate off of well studied and physician approved protocols. You give a chief complaint, type it in, then the computer tells them what to ask, they type it in, then the computer tells them what to do. There's still some element of judgement in listening to the wording of the answers and some subjectivity when assessing severity and such, so it's good to have trained nurses as the middle-man for the protocols, but still it's protocol driven and tends to be very reliable.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't actually know where the nurses are located, or what if any priorities they have. I just thought it interesting that the Meritcare nurses always advised me to come in, regardless of my complaint, and the Lifewise nurse advised me not to.

When I have a question that I feel requires a more specific knowledge of my situation, I call my doctor's clinic and ask to speak to his nurse, who relays my question to him and then calls me back. But that process often takes a day or two: She may or may not return my call the same day I call her, and it's usually another day before she gets back to me with an answer.

I was half-joking in my original post. But only half. My experience of doctors is that they want to provide the best care they can. But hospitals are usually businesses that want to generate revenue. And insurance companies also want to make money. Hospitals make money by getting people in; insurance companies make money by keeping people out.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's some nice insight into the process there, Evan. Basically, it seems that the Nurses use a webMD-like interface for figuring out how to respond. Of course, anyone can go to a site like that and do it themselves, but you do get the additional experience in interpreting the symptoms - there have been many times i've gone to webMD, put in my symptoms and been advised i have a broken bone or something when i really don't and just don't know how to sufficiently describe the problem.

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't like nurses or nurse practitioners. A few weeks after surgery a spot on my arm was hurting and my hand swelled up. When I called the nurse surgeon's practitioner he said 'swelling just moved down from your shoulder'. I was pissey and told him if it didn't go down I was going to the ER. He didn't like that. When I went to the ER the nurse at the desk said 'you just have your sling on wrong, angle it to keep your hand up by your heart'.

Three days later when the surgeon saw it he said 'hospital, now and get a doppler'. Blood clot.

Nurses suck.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had surgery three times. I have the highest regard and respect for the nurses who tended me after my surgeries. They were, without exception, wonderful, caring, and extremely competent people. But then both Fargo and Spokane have that small-town quality where people care about each other, and I was at expensive hospitals.

Nurses are, without a doubt, the best people on the planet.