1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bay Area owners, where do you have service done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by siliconhybrid, Jul 13, 2007.

1. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dealers quoted me for $90+tax for the 10K mile service, that includes tire rotation.
    That is pretty hefty for just Oil & Filter Change + Check fluid + Rotate Tires.

I don't feel like rotating the tires myself, but I don't want to pay too much either ;)

So I'm asking the South Bay Area ppl (San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino),
    where do you have your regular maintenance done other than the dealers, and how much do you pay?

Thanks

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ Jul 13 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]478312[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't sound too terribly steep to me. What's your budget?

3. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 13 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]478317[/snapback]</div>
    For my other car (not Prius), I usually pay $30 for oil/filter change + free fluid check at Sears and free rotation at Costco. For Prius, I would expect something like $50s or at most $60s. I guess I can go to Sears again, but I'm wondering where other owners service their Prius.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 13 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]478317[/snapback]</div>

Owwww....That's almost twice what they charge at the dealer here in Sac. Oil change/Tire Rotation/Brake Check/Fluid Check for 59.95 or 56.95 if you donate a canned food item.

[attachmentid=9688]

But I don't trust the dealer, so I'm going to do it myself.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have got to be kidding me! I went to the Toyota dealership just last week and asked them when my car was due for service and they said 90K miles wasd the first real service. They said until then just keep doing what I have been doing, oil/filter/rotate every 5K miles and then to do the air filter and cabin filter every 15K. I do the air and cabin filters every 30K and they look pretty clean when I replace them.
    I can't believe the dealership wants to charge $100 for an oil/filter and rotate.

6. 4bande

4bande Junior Member

Just had my 5K oil change done at Dublin Toyota this morning (along with an alignment issue). The Express Lube was $29.95 tax. The Express Lube Plus (which includes tire rotation and brake check) was $69.95. I opted for the Express Lube only (I'll rotate my own tires).

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

You should contact Luscious Garage the owner helped on two to the Prius conversions I worked on. She is very good at what she does and is very knowledgeable.

vprasad1 likes this.
  8. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well..well I called Sears, they did not want to change Prius oil/filter , weird.

I called Sunnyvale Toyota, they said $36.88 for oil/filter change. I asked for tire rotation they quoted $29.95. Then I asked how much is it for 10K mile service, they said $89.95 Yea.. go figure the math. The difference is $23.12 and that's for tire pressure & fluid check? Wow, I am in the wrong business.

I went there anyway because I just wanted the oil/filter changed today, I figured, $36.88 is not thaaaat bad. I'm too lazy to change it myself. I got there, the guy offered to rotate the tires for $19, I said sure, and they basically check my fluid/air filter/tires/break pads/etc.. afterall for $55.88 + tax.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ Jul 24 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]484301[/snapback]</div>
    They were probably afraid they would get electrocuted. :p

I let the dealer do mine for the first service, but they overfilled the oil and didn't tighten 3 of the wheel nuts, so I'm going to do it myself from now on. The Prius looks pretty easy because the filter is relatively easy to reach. Our Avalon is more of a PITA because the filter is behind one of the exhaust manifolds.

10. lusciousgarage

lusciousgarage New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 23 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]483743[/snapback]</div>
    Jim, you are the coolest. BTW, how's the Western Sizzler?

To SiliconHybrid, so what business are you in? ;)

Seriously, itemized services are exactly that: a single item rather than a overall checkup. The extra money goes towards the tech's time actually *looking* at the car rather than simply changing the oil and rotating the tires. This explains the phenomenon of express lubes, where the service is both fast and cheap.

On a younger vehicle (like yours) there are fewer risks involved. Even so, IMO, if your car is only getting serviced every 6 months (such as with the Prius) it's foolish not to check over the entire machine. The only thing worse than getting a flat tire is discovering that your spare has never been filled, and so on...

Thus, at our shop, the 10k service (called "The Vitals") runs $110. FYI, the price is the same for the 15k. ;)

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i drove to sears today, and they ran my vin # and said they had 4 filters in stock that would fit, but they wouldn't change the oil either. they said they had a no hyrbid policy. i was so miffed that i wrote sears corporate today with that 12 pages of john1701a's how to change oil guide to the president and temporary ceo of sears to write back with the reasons why in writing, heh

when i asked the local sears on why they wouldn't give me a straight answer, they mumbled about maybe we do not have the filter or its something electrical.

i went across the street to jiffy lube and they changed the oil for $32 with a $5 coupon. regular price was $37. they laughed when i told them how sears did not want to touch the car

jiffy lube likes to show customers filters, and they showed me my engine filter and suggested i get a new one for $17 but i was feeling cheap and that filter is good for another 15k

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I usually go to Fremont Toyota.
    Quick Lube for $29, or $59 (w/ tire rotation). Both include multi-point inspection (why not? They do make money if they find ANYTHING). They send you coupon frequently for even more discount.
    The place has Wi-Fi and coffee for wait-in. No appointment needed.

13. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use Capitol Toyota, they typically charge $30 for a normal service with rotate, etc. 30K service was more due to engine and cabin filter.

Ask for Brian Hayden, as he has been very good at getting me decent prices for services and warranty work on my other vehicles in the past.

Personally I would just stick to having the dealer service the Prius, as it will make warranty issues much easier down the line. If you have your car serviced at the same dealer for along time they tend to come to the party much easier if you need any warranty or other work done. You also get to know the service wirter and techs. The dealer is also less likely to mess something up than most general auto shops.

14. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the vice president of sears called me, he said he is going back to the sears automotive and retrain them on how to change oil on a prius, and they are going to give me 1 free oil change and FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!!!! FIFTY DOLLARS! for sending them the letter and prius johns how to change oil on a prius guide, heh

15. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Two years ago I took a car to a Toyota dealer for repair, the shop rate is $90 /hr. With 50/50 split, the mechanic makes $45/hr plus a percentage of the replacement parts, 10% is not unusual.

Friend of one of my relative is a Toyota mechanic, he owns a $750K+ home.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's very good. However I hope that the Sears oil-change guy will not leave your car READY while draining engine oil out of the crankcase. :cool: