1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BBQ, Barbeque, Bar-B-Que !

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GreenMachine, Dec 31, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Man, I REALLY miss good BBQ up here in Vermont.

I grew up in Texas and believed that great BBQ is a right, not a privilege. Up here they dump some Kraft "BBQ Sauce" on some ribs, bake them in the oven, pop them on a grill to sear them -- and actually call it BBQ. There ought to be a law against that.

BBQ has to be cooked low and slow with SMOKE from actual wood, damnit :p

Every time I travel I make a point of finding and enjoying the best BBQ in the area. I have tried Carolina style, Memphis style, Kansas City style but keep on coming back to Texas style brisket and pork ribs as my favorite. But I do have to give Memphis style ribs a hearty endorsement.

I grew up with Sutphens (the original when Marge was the owner) BBQ in Borger, Texas with what I still think of as the very best BBQ joint in the world. The pork ribs at Dyers BBQ in Pampa, Texas are my current Gold Standard.

Any other affecianatos out there? Any joints out there worth a special trip?

2. KathyY

KathyY Member

Many years ago we discovered The Golden Rule outside of Birmingham, Alabama. That was my first taste of BBQ and it was great. Just heard of a place in North Laurel in Howard County Maryland that sounds like one that needs trying but I don't remember the name.

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was it the Golden Rule in Irondale? If so, I have seen some good reviews on it online. Their sauce uses msg I have heard?

Thanks for the suggestion. I get to Maryland quite a bit too so if the name comes to mind let me know :D

4. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Chicago we have our share of great BBQ joints. And with all due respect to Robinson's or Leon's Ribs, both wonderful places, I have to go with Carson's Ribs. Great carmalization, smokey, sweet, they have it all. So if you ever travel to the Windy City, check out Carson's downtown (original) on Wells Street or in Deerfield, gastronomic heaven on earth.
    www.ribs.com

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mmmm, your description has me salivating. I get to Chicago from time to time too. Might figure out how to make the next time sooner than later now.

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A treasure I stumbled upon for anyone interested and find themselves in SE Arizona.

Reds BBQ in the little town of Patagonia, Arizona.
    436 W Naugle Ave
    Patagonia, AZ 85624
    520 394-0284

Red had to move out of the Hill Country of Texas, where he was a pit master for many years and had won many BBQ contests, due to a bad case of cedar fever. He only cooks so much three or four times a week and when it is gone, it's gone. You can call in ahead of time and he will reserve your meat for when you show up. The ribs are sensational. As I remember they are served dry with the sauce on the side. Pungent, deeply smoked and slowly cooked out back on a grill he is happy to show you.

He has another joint in Benson, AZ which should be just as good where he is the other few days of the week.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could eat the Rendevouz Memphis style dry-rub ribs until I was sick. I just totally prefer dry rub. I like vinegar based BBQ for a change but just have a hard time calling it BBQ.

Here in the Ozarks there are several good places. One in Eureka Springs is Bubba's Barbeque--one of the best in the region without question.

In Hot Springs Arkansas is the place Bill Clinton loves...and it's good despite that if you're not a Clinton fan.... McClard's Top notch place to catch before or after the races.

Then there's the true best...my pulled pork from my Big Green Egg....Top notch stuff baby!

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

MMMM thanks Evan. I used to go right by you, well by Springfield, at least twice a year when my family was still up in the Texas Panhandle. Perhaps I will find my way back down that highway once again someday.

Big Green Egg Kamado cooker? I do some pretty darned good pullled pork on my Brinkman's Pro too. Do you finish in foil with that rig?

I like the Memphis Magic BBQ sauce ( http://www.thesmokering.com/Recipes/MemphisMagic.jsp) for pulled pork a lot, but also make North Carolina mustard sauce for others who prefer it in my family. I love pullled pork, but, like you, don't prefer the vinegar based sauce all that much.

9. v.jones

v.jones New Member

A little closer to home (your current home, that is) and surprisingly good for Yankee BBQ, is The Cookhouse in New Milford CT. I was pleasantly surprised!

DISCLAIMER: This "review" is based on a single visit and I was hungry, which tends to cloud judgement. Also it has been many years since I've tasted indigenous BBQ, so I may have forgotten what it should taste like... As always, YMMV.

Vince

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple acceptible BBQ places in and around Springfield--Buckingham's is a local chain that does a darn good job.

Oh yea, I LOVE my BGE! Not familiar with the Brinkman's. And yes, I do finish off with a foil wrap if for not other reason than to capture the juices which I then integrate back into the meat after the 'pull'.

11. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Vince, thanks a ton. (so to speak :p ). I just checked out the reviews for The Smokehouse and you have remembered what it should taste like very well.

Now let's see, New Milford is a perfect trip for good mpg for the new Prius -- hummmmm. :lol:

12. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I'm not really a bbq fan and don't like real spicy foods.
    But around here people rave about Red Bones in Cambridge MA.

I like the milder food at the Smokey Bones chain better.

13. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have eaten at Smokey Bones and really liked it. Have heard about Red Bones in Somerville, but haven't gotten to eat there yet. I didn't know they had one in Cambridge. This might be the kick in the butt I need 'cause I love it spicey and I used to work in Harvard Square in the early 70's and like having an excuse to get back there.

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Sorry, you must be right Somerville, not Cambridge. Been a while since I was there.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    My college-attending daughter is a waitperson (PC for PC :p ) at one of the most successful rib joints in SoCal, Lucille's. I'm not a rib person, but if you'd like to do a Machine's Whirlwind Tour of all the places you end up with on this thread, I'll welcome you to Ca-lee-fornia, show you where the Governator used to toke and grope, house you and buy you all the ribs you can eat at Lucille's.

What better way to properly break in a Prius and escape Vermont Januaries?

16. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh man, does that sound tempting! I'm not a person whose ribs you can see, but I am a rib person. Ya just never know, I might take you up on that very nice offer Jack.

I have been out your way to look for the Yellow-billed Magpies which only occur in a very small area west of Sacramento -- the Yolo County Framland. (We found two of them for our life lists too :lol:)