1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BC package vs. AM package with aftermarket upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pcjr, Mar 23, 2005.

1. pcjr

pcjr New Member

I'm deciding between purchasing a Prius with the BC package and AM package, a difference of ~$3000. The BC has the DVD navigation with voice recognition, bluetooth, homelink, and JBL speakers. I only care about the DVD navigation and bluetooth and wondering if there are 3rd parties out there that offer these. If so, how much would it cost to install these in a Prius with the AM package? Also, is there much of a difference between the standard speakers and the JBL speakers? Looks like people on this board aren't too impressed with the "premium" sound quality of the JBL audio system.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you are looking for an aftermarket NAV or a new header to work with the MFD or steering wheel controls, you're probably out of luck. You might be able to feed aftermarket NAV video to MFD using coastal's video interface, but you won't have touchscreen control. I don't know of any headers that will interface with the MFD at all.
    Now if you use the standard header and add an amp, that is possible, but be forewarned, the MFD beeps come through the front speaker outputs and would also be amplified.

Homelink mirror is easily obtainable and installable.

I believe the speakers are the same, sans tweeters in the rear.