1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BCS - OU, LSU, USC - What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Dec 7, 2003.

?
  1. LSU & Oklahoma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LSU & USC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. USC & Oklahoma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I just hate the BCS - no one should be in it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm an SEC boy so I obviously think that LSU should be in it, and I think that's the general consensus among the analysts, but OU in the Sugar Bowl and not USC?!?!?

I personally think only Conferences with a Champtionship game should be allowed into the BCS system, and if you don't win your Conference Championship, you are ineligible to go to the title game - period.

So, in my eyes it should be LSU vs USC.

And...what do you think this does for the future of the BCS system?

2. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The championship should be played with each player in a Prius in a large parking lot.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

:lol:

Of course, considering availability, they'd either have to play the championship in Classic Prii or postpone the game until August. :p

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man could this get heated quickly!!

I'm an SEC guy too (University of Arkansas '89), but there's no way I put LSU in the same class as OU. Yea, KS outplayed the heck out of them and the last game is the one we all remember, but OU dominated, completely, every single other game this season. LSU is solid, but has weaknesses, USC I didn't watch that much this season.

I'm for ditching the current BCS system and going to a 4 team play-off based on either a BCS like system (which does a pretty good job of getting the top 2-3 teams I think, just not the #1 team). USC is clearly getting shafted, but the same would be said for any 2 other teams put in a single championship game.
    --evan

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kornheiser had a great article this morning which mirrors a lot of my thoughts. The main one being, if you don't win your Conference Championship, you should not get to the NC Game, period. I also think that they should put into place a rule that says if you are a BCS (or whatever system) member Conference, you HAVE to have a Conference Champtionship. I think the only one left after the ACC starts their Conf. Championship without a Championship game will be the Big 10, but they can change that easily by pulling Notre Dame into the Big 10 for football just like every other sport.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...4-2003Dec7.html

6. Gobenator

Gobenator New Member

Alright here's the solution plain and simple.
    Take the BCS bowls down from 4 to 3.
    Take the top 4 teams at the end of the year and they get to play in a playoff system. 2 teams will go to the Rose bowl the other 2 teams to the Orange Bowl and then the final 2 teams would meet in the Sugar Bowl for the National Championship. This would allow the Bowls to keep rotating and still give good money/implications. All the other bowls would not be effected. The BCS could still be kept around to declare the top 4 teams. This playoff picture could be played in 2 weeks which, I don't think, would be a major problem.

Also I don't like the "not winning your conference championship disqualifies you" aspect. Oklahoma completely dominated their season then they have a bad game and all of a sudden you don't get to go? No thats bad, but I do think every major conference should have a conference champoinship.

Just my 2 cents. Agree/Disagree?