1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Be careful when you clay bar the rear spoiler....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grren4ever, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    So I've had my new Prius for exactly a week now and decided that I must protect it with wax before I drive it any further.

It looks like my Prius was manufactured in Jan 2013 and has been sitting at a dealership for probably 6 months before I picked it up. Despite the fact that cars often get shipped with a protective plastic on horizontal surfaces, I knew I would need to give a good clay bar job before putting any wax on.

After a thorough wash, I used the clay bar all around the car (it barely picked anything up) and then dried it to prep for the wax. I noticed that the rear spoiler had very very fine hairline scratches on it. Since this was my first wash, the scratches could have been caused by the detail department at Toyota...or perhaps even me although I used a microfiber wash mit and clay bared the spoiler with very gentle force.

In any case, because the spoiler is black and glossy, it will show any scratches more easily. Just a tip to all of you to be gentle with washing or clay barring that part of the car!

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Clay shouldn't scratch unless you've allowed it to get dirty and/or use a lot of pressure. If the car was washed by the dealer they could have easily done it. Black and glossy is almost impossible to keep scratch free though, so it will certainly get more of them unless you are meticulous about using a two bucket/two mitt washing system with a completely clean drying towel.

Thanks for the heads up!