1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Be careful when you order Toyota parts from online

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cossie1600, Jan 5, 2012.

1. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone,

When you order your Toyota parts online next time, please be careful with who you are ordering them from. I made the mistake of ordering from Conicelli Toyota in PA online. I entered my 2010 Toyota Prius as the vehicle (WITH PICTURES TOO), yet some of the parts that came in was for a 2003 Prius and a 2010 Toyota Sienna (it was wiper blade inserts). When I called the dealership to get an exchange, the guy flat out rejected it saying I should have had my VIN in the order. I understand there are parts that are VIN based, yet how is it possible that I get shipped parts from cars of different model or year. Luckily the bad parts were only $15, but please do your research and order from the right people. I notice all the Toyota parts websites have similar interface, so be careful and make sure you keep records of everything. Else you could be stuck with a hefty bill.

2. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I;ve ordered several times from Conicelli ... never used a vin yet ... perfect everytime. I'd suggest calling back and trying to talk to a superior. They've always been great to me.

REV

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Always order with VIN....but that is something that should not have happened.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised they don't want to do an exchange for what should be stock parts. Now a big ticket, special order part is another thing.

5. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was going to start using them for my Nissan and Honda too, but they lost me as a customer when they didn't even attempt to exchange the part for me. The wipers were less than $4 each too. Also I still don't understand what the VIN has to do with getting a wiper from a Prius vs a Sienna.....

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you have plenty more places to deal with.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like a bad site. A better Toyota parts site would at least accept the return with a restocking fee if you didn't provide a VIN during checkout.

You can always dispute with your credit card company if it wasn't the result of your error.

8. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Just how much would a reasonable restocking fee be on a $4 item? 12 cents?

And what would the reasoning be for a credit card dispute? I didn't authorize them to charge me if I wasn't satisfied? Never seen that work.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good idea to check the price of on line parts too. I have found a few things that were actually cheaper at the local dealer (who gives a discount if you bought the car there). In particular heavy things such as fluids, due to shipping.

Last set of 3 wiper blade inserts I bought from the dealer were a little less than $18, and the parts guy went out to the parking lot and installed them for me. I said "that's OK I can put them in" but he said he needed some fresh air anyway. :)

10. Duckles McGee

Duckles McGee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Weird, I bought my car from their Springfield store and I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

Do you know which location it was?

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agee with using the local dealership for parts. When I have compared cost online and included shipping there was very little difference with the dealer. Plus I am talking directly to the parts guy who can spin the monitor around with the exploded parts diagram and make sure we are talking the exact part that I need.

Then if there is ever any problem with the part I can always take it back and return it for the correct part.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Credit card companies can and will reverse a charge if they deliver you an item not as described and the merchant refuses to take it back (after you've attempted to resolve the problem with the merchant). That's one of the benefits of using a credit card with most major companies.

Of course that's only if the OP actually didn't make a mistake in ordering the wrong item and the error lies solely with the merchant. Credit card companies couldn't care less about any merchants' specific policies (including requiring the VIN number during checkout), only that the item ordered is delivered as described.

13. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kind of hard to screw it up since I clicked on the left wiper blade insert and right wiper blade insert from the same screen on the same car...

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have the same problem with wrong part shipped to me from a dealer in Washington.
    My suggestion is not to buy from dealer on line that won't give you the Toyota part number during checkout. At least if you have the part number, you can check it on the internet if it is the right part for your car before click on the pay button.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So file a claim with your CC company if you paid with a credit card and dispute the charge, stating that you've received items not as ordered and the merchant refused to take them back. They will reverse the charge.

16. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i bought wiper blade refills from parts.com

the right side they sent was 18" when i needed 19"

went to toyota dealership

they only sell the whole blade not the refills!

i'm not spending $42 to $54 for full blades when the refills are $3.14 and $4.66

so it's back to parts.com to get it corrected.

FU toyota!!!

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't blame Toyota for this particular screw up, blame the dealership. Toyota most certainly sells the inserts since several on here have bought them, including me.

That is one of Toyota's problem to me, they seem to have no control whatsoever over their dealerships.

18. Duckles McGee

Duckles McGee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Large dealership chains like conicelli, who are agents for several makes, typically take a uniform service approach.

The individual companies have some control, but much of the operation is at the discretion of the agent.,