1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Be glad you don't have a Testla and 12V battery dies....

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by IABoy987, Aug 2, 2023.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That guy is stupid for not having taken the time to learn where the backup door release is located.

Tesla is stupid for not putting the electric door release button physically on the backup release, to vastly simplify this. That way if the electric button doesn't work you would at least have the backup release literally at hand, with no advance training required.

sylvaing likes this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That Tesla dude probably ignores the safety instructions given in airplanes prior to takeoff.

4. PriusPrimetime

PriusPrimetime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I guess we know why Elon was so adamant on announcing his new motor moving away from 12v battery. He said it was so they can use less copper, but now we know the real reason :)

5. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thing is, the manual backup is normally where you would find a usual door release. I have to warn new passenger to use the electric button and not the manual release one as they'll reach for that one by reflex.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds like an improvement. I'd read that there was a wire loop along the floor in the model S, and that the model Y had a control inside the door pocket. Is yours a 3?

7. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, a Model 3. That wire you mention is for the rear doors. The front doors have that manual release on the pull handle.

8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

I did that by mistake as well. Seems like the window glass damages the inside of the window trim....same way the tint installers can damage the outside...after they trick the window to go up full outside to tint the window and then forget......and close the door and the window damages the outside of the window trim. Something to look outfor when you have some shop tint your model 3 front windows.

9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A person shouldn’t have to be smart or read anything to get out of a car. A non sighted passenger should be able to instinctively pull the inside door handle and open the door. Tesla isn’t the only one and models of yesteryear weren’t always easy. Mainly I think it is a need to be different. Being different makes people think the car is special and they buy it.
    Prime the handle is right there no need to even look.

leftbrarian, bisco and Zed Ruhlen like this.
  10. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Model 3 manual release is "right there" too. No need to look for it, hence why you have to tell passenger not to use it.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was getting out a Model 3 in the last week, took a bit of searching to find the little door release button (the regular one). Ditto for getting in: pretty much takes both hands to pull out the "clever" door handle.

12. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have to tell people not to use it that qualifies as a failed UI. Truth is 99 percent of the Tesla is a failed UI. Really the feds need to get in and regulate the shit out of car interiors. Bring back actual buttons, bring back actual feedback. ABSOLUTELY BAN touch screens. There's a REASON cars are supposed to be intuitive. To prevent people getting killed.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree. I practically drive off the road every time I attempt to change vent mode (on our 2010 3rd gen), and we don't even have the $%@* touch screen.

Zed Ruhlen likes this.
  14. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All the things I do while driving is on the steering wheel or attached to it. The only exception is the navigation to move the screen around but that's the same for every car. Beside that, while driving, I don't need to interact with the screen.

Zythryn likes this.
  15. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I got my Prime I got the lowest model so that I didn't have to do HVAC through the screen. That makes it better but cars like the Model 3 you have to do EVERYTHING through that screen. The steering wheel controls on the Prime are OK but still pretty convoluted. My takeaway from every new car I've looked at is that 100% of the people responsible for UI (user interface) in cars need to be fired. All of them.

16. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can change the temperature through the steering wheel left scroll wheel button now thanks to OTA update... Wipers through the left stick and its speed through the left scroll wheel (again thanks to OTA update). Cruise control set is through the right stick. Cruise control speed and following distance through the right scroll wheel. Volume/Mute/Skip forward/backward through the left scroll wheel. Phone answer/reject through the left scroll wheel. Reading and answering text through the right scroll wheel. Seats and steering wheel heaters are on Auto and saved in your personal settings so they are set to your liking and you forget about them (although they do tend to turn on when it's too warm for me so when spring comes around, I turn them off). Same for the vents. They are set in your personal settings, like the seat/mirror/steering wheel position and are moved to your preferred position as you get in.

Like I said, I don't usually interact with the screen as I drive. Exception might be to turn on the rear or front defrost. But, those settings are at the bottom of the screen so you simply hold the back of the screen with your fingers and turn it on/off with your thumb. or use voice control. With your thumb, it only take a small glance to align your thumb, like I would do to align my index finger for a the physical buttons.

I do not miss those buttons at all. They are one more point of failure, they make the inside more convoluted and their façade wears off with time, making the inside look worn down.

17. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That explanation just proves my entire point. Glad that you don't miss the buttons but it has been PROVEN that these systems distract drivers and lead to accidents.

leftbrarian likes this.
  18. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How the hell does it prove your entire point??? I just said I don't use the screen 99% of the time while driving!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so the guy was sitting in a locked tesla in his garage and the 12v died?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the lady locked her dogs in the car on a 90 degree day in the sun, and the 12v died?

how do you get in from the outside?