1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beep???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daniel, Jan 25, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Recently my 2004 Prius has begun doing something it never did before: Maybe half (?) the time, when I shut the car off, it makes one long beep. The other times, it does not.

No other symptoms, no apparent problems. It shuts down properly, and starts up again when I want to start it.

I'm shutting down as I always have: Press the Power button while stepping on the brake. (I do not put it in Park first, and never have.) I keep my foot on the brake until the dash lights turn off.

Any ideas as to what it might be beeping about?

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    daniel,

At four years old, your 12V batery is at an age that often results in reports
    of symptoms of electronic weirdness.

You're in a coldish climate which also stresses the 12V battery. Have you had
    it tested? It might be time for a replacement... non-OEM of course.

3. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe that a single beep at turnoff is a warning that the battery in the fob is getting weak (applies to SKS equipped vehicles only). I had that beep intermittently some time ago but it hasn't happened lately. I'm waiting to get a better correlation before I change my fob battery. My battery is almost 4 years old and yours is in that range also if it hasn't previously been changed.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A-Ha!
    It's not just me. Priapus has begun beeping at me as well. Like yours, not all the time and I have yet to have a problem with him starting. But all the same I'm planning on replacing the 12v in the summer unless it all-out dies before then.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the battery in the SKS fob that's causing the beep. The same thing happened to me when I had my 04 and had never replaced the fob battery. Replaced the battery ... no more beep at shutdown.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow! Once again, PriusChat rules!

My 12-v battery was replaced a year or so ago (I don't remember the reason, but it seemed reasonable at the time, given its age.)

But my fob battery has never been replaced. It's not immediately apparent to me how to replace it. Can it only be done by the dealer? Or does it come apart if I pry at the little hole with a screwdriver?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel,
    Remove the mechanical key,
    Slide off the back...it can get sticky over time, but it will slide.
    There are 4 small screws that you remove with a jeweler's screw driver to expose the battery. It's easy from there.
    2004 Prius Keyfob Battery Change

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. I can see where it's supposed to slide. The back moves easily the tiniest bit, just enough to slide the narrowest eyeglasses screwdriver blade in, but then it stops as though it's catching on something. I can even lift up the back, but I cannot slide it free. I tried on the spare also, the one that's always been in a drawer, never exposed to dirt, and it behaves the same. Is there some other trick to getting it open? It really does not seem to be sticky with grime. It seems to be catching on something after it slides the width of a fine pen line.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a test, if your spare fob has been mostly unused try it first and see whether there is a beep.

Note that the cover slides off parallel to the long axis of the fob. That will help you locate places to pry with a small screwdriver or pick if you can't slide the cover off with your fingers alone. I moved my spare fob's old battery to my primary fob and put the new battery in the spare. No sense letting the old one die unused...

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can see how it's supposed to slide, because it slides that teeny tiny fraction. But even getting the screwdriver into the space and prying does not move it further.

I considered switching fobs. (No point in switching batteries, when I can just put the one I've been using in storage and use the one I've been storing.) But I figure the battery probably loses more from age than from use. They're probably both near depleted. So I'll replace one battery, since the spare fob is only if I lose the primary one, and the spare does not need a battery since it can always go into the slot.

But first I have to get it open. And neither one of them wants to open. Both seem to be jamming against something after sliding the thickness of a business card.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got it! It turns out there's a tiny latch under the cover, actually part of the slide that releases the key. It might be possible to release it by sliding the key release, but I had to pry it up with a screwdriver while pulling back on the cover. Maybe because the chronic pain at the base of my thumb prevents me from pulling hard enough on the key release. In any case, merely sliding the back cover doesn't do it (unless maybe you've previously broken the latch).

So I got the battery out and will buy a new one before I need to drive the Prius again

Thanks everyone!

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this with SKS only, and is it the SKS beeper that's making
    the noise?
    _H*

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is SKS. It sounds like the same long beep you get if you try to lock the door with the door-handle button when the car is still on. Except that it happens as I shut the car off. I never tried it with SKS off and the fob in the slot.

I got the new battery this morning and put it in and the fob works, but I only tested it opening and closing the doors. I didn't turn the car on. I'll probably go to Coeur d'Alene again next weekend, so I'll have to drive the Prius, and I'll find out whether the beep is gone. C d'A is too far for the Xebra. Once I have the electric Porsche the Prius will be relegated to summer road trips to Canada and maybe those few days when we have ice on the roads here.