1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beeping when using Smart Key for unlocking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spacey_ts, Aug 24, 2007.

1. spacey_ts

spacey_ts New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey All! Just got my brand new black '07 package #5 on Wednesday. Still learning ins and outs but one thing is perplexing me. When I have the Smart Key in my bag and go up to the car it will unlock when I touch it but then keeps beeping incessantly (constant beep) until I either 1) press the unlock button in the door console or 2) press the power button. Things I know aren't the problem: 1) there aren't any doors left open, 2) it's not that I left the power on (in Acc or Ig-on mode) because I stop, press P, then press power, then get out of the car. This is the proper sequence for parking and exiting, yes?

If I press the lock button when exiting the car in the door console then use the Smart Key in my bag to unlock it later, I don't get the beeping. I think it's some weird combination of I lock the door with the key fob but then try to unlock it with the Smart Key in my bag. Anyone heard of this?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you pushing the little black button on the outside of the handle at any time during this unlock/open door sequence? The only thing like that I've experienced was when my daughter pushed that button after one of the car doors had been open.

3. spacey_ts

spacey_ts New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 24 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]501602[/snapback]</div>

Um... Am I *not* supposed to push the little black button? :unsure: When do I push the little black button? {please bear with the ignorance...}

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

If SmartKey is enabled, just walk up to the car and open the door. It will open if you have your key fob with you; no need to push the button. Hit the black button after exiting, and the car is locked.

See if it still beeps when you open it like that.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spacey_ts @ Aug 24 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]501605[/snapback]</div>
    Only to lock the car. To unlock, just grab the door handle.

Tom

6. spacey_ts

spacey_ts New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Aug 24 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]501615[/snapback]</div>
    OMG is it really that simple?! :rolleyes: I will follow that procedure from now on and not mess with the other options. If I still have the problem I'll be sure to let you know. Thank you all for the help!!!!

7. mgipe

mgipe New Member

...and don't use the inside lock button. Just turn off the car, get out, close the doors, and press the external black lock button on the door handle. Then walk away.

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mgipe @ Aug 24 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]501624[/snapback]</div>
    Why? What's the difference between locking using the button on the inside vs outside?

9. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For me, the difference between using the inside & the outside lock button is that if a door is ajar, Fiona will let me know by "screaming" at me if I push the black button. No such warning with the inside lock button.

10. mgipe

mgipe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Aug 24 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]501637[/snapback]</div>
    Mainly, that's the way Toyota designed it.

The inside button locks the doors. The outside button locks the doors, checks for power off, checks for open doors, checks for keys left inside, and sets the alarm.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mgipe @ Aug 24 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]501792[/snapback]</div>
    Good points!

I don't consistently use one method or the other, though I prefer the immediacy and tactile feel of the inside button more. But the safeguards provided by the outside button are well worth it.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Aug 25 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]501890[/snapback]</div>
    I always lock by pushing one of the little black buttons on the outside of the car. I do this even in our little village where I never lock anything else, only to make sure there are no doors left ajar.

For the OP, I want to point out that unlocking by grabbing a door handle only works with the front doors and the hatch. The default behavior is to unlock all of the doors when unlocking by the passenger door or hatch, and only the driver's door when touching that handle. You can change this behavior by doing a little setup with the key fob. It's spelled out in the manual and also on this site.

Another subtle point is that the unlockers on the front doors are touch sensitive, while the one on the hatch is pressure sensitive. When you unlock with either of the front doors, all you have to do is touch the inside of the handle and the car will unlock. With the rear hatch, you have to apply some pressure and wait for a short interval before it unlocks. This prevents rain and wind turbulence from messing with the rear hatch control. With the SKS, sometimes you will notice the door locks cycling when you wash your car. This is from water tripping the touch sensors on the front door handles. Either ignore it, or temporarily turn off the SKS system by pushing the button under the steering wheel.

Tom