1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beeping while being washed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was washing my Prius for the first time today. I had the key fob in my pocket and the whole time I was using the hose the car would beep (as in the door locks) every minute or so. I didn't notice the beeping when I was drying it unless of course I was drying the door handles.

Could the water be causing the car to think I was trying to open the door handle or something?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

when your washing the car and the SKS fob is in your pocket it'll trigger the lock system. To avioid this turn off the SKS system by using the button under the steering column. turn it back on after your finished.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the tip Frank. Pretty strange it does that.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Tim -- are you sure the car was OFF and not just in PARK? I think it beeps at you if you're out of the car and it's in park, but still running. But I could be wrong... new Prius owner here, too.

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple things that can cause this. First, with the fob in your pocket, as you are moving aroung washing, there may be something pushing the unlock button on the fob. This will unlock the car, then with no doors being opened within 30 seconds, the car will lock itself back up.

The second possibility, if while washing, you touch the inside of the door handles, the car will again unlock. And without opening a door, lock itself back up in 30 sec.

I found the first out quite by accident as well, I'm doing some work in the yard, car was locked, all of a sudden, beep beep :huh: something must have pushed a button on the fob in my pocket, quick check, yup, house key doubled around and was hitting a button. Fixed the problem and the car again goes beep :huh: now I push the unlock button, beep beep, cool, then 30 sec later BEEP :wacko:

Well, a little checking on PC and guess what, it's suppose to do this, if you unlock the doors and not open any, it will relock in about 30sec. Enjoy your Prius, you may find a few more of these little features, did you find the hidden drawer yet??

6. priusNlondon

priusNlondon Pingu 2.0

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    i know with my reverse sensors they have trouble detecting things when it's raining heavily. could it be that when you were running the hose over the car that the water was breaking the signal to the fob for the SKS?

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's just ticklish...

More likely the water running over the SKS touch sensors are unlocking/re-locking the car repeatedly.

But I prefer to believe the car is ticklish...

-Ken

8. Liam

Liam New Member

There might be something in the manual about this. I know I read it somewhere that water can trigger the SKS.

While holding the hose and running it over the SKS sensor the water will unlock the car and then if you don't open the door, in a few seconds the door will automatically lock again.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the key fob in your possession, this phenomena is a normal occurrence caused by water coming into contact with the inside of the front door handle - thereby causing the SKS system to unlock the doors. If you do not actually open a door, the SKS system will re-lock the doors after several seconds. The unlock and locking comes complete with the associated beeps and light flashes.

This has been covered in another PriusChat string:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=7280&hl=

If this really bugs you, the easiest work around is to make sure the car is unlocked before you start washing.

I also am of the mind that this is only your Prius showing its appreciation for you keeping it clean - or maybe it really is ticklish. :p

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks all for the feedback! I think this IS what was going on. Next time I will leave it unlocked. As suggested, being a new owner there are going to be a lot of little things to discover! And yes, I did find the hidden drawer.