1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Before a long trip, what should I check?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FrankD, Oct 11, 2009.

1. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. We have owned our "new to us" 2007 Prius for a few months now, and love it. Next week we are taking a 1300 mile trip from NY to Florida to spend a month in our Florida home, then return.

We bought the car with 50k miles on it, and it was Toyota certified with no problems. It now has almost 54k on it.

What exactly should I check before the big trip? I know tire pressure, oil level, etc, I'm good about that, but is there anything else I should check? Do I really need to go to the dealer for a check?

We have had no real problems with the car. Sometimes I think it "rumbles" a bit before turning off at a stoplight, but seems to be fine other then that.

I've been avg. 45 mpg, even with driving carefully. My toyota dealer says around here we only have 10% ethanol gas, so that is good and to not expect more. I was hoping for a bit better, but we'll see.

The only potential problem is that the dealer told me the last time it was in that it had a code stored for a low voltage reading on the 12 volt battery. He said it seemed fine now, but wondered if I did anything with the battery, etc. I told him no. Hopefully I do not need a new 12 volt battery, but if I do, I think I would like to do it myself, if it is not too difficult or different then a regular car. I'm not even sure where it is (yet) or how hard the job would be.

Thanks in advance for any help. I love owning a Prius!

Frank D.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most important thing to check (after the obvious ones you just pointed out) is your pockets. These days, your cell phone and a credit card can save you from just about anything. ;)

Nothing different to do on this car than any other. Check the fluids and pressures.

This is normal, and something you'll get used to. Sometimes the engine has a rough "off" as it attempts to burn every last bit of fuel floating around in the combustion chamber. Normally, it is smooth, but sometimes it'll shake the car significantly. Think of it as a "feature" and you'll be fine...

Watch your speed, and you should do better than that on a long, steady haul. Try to always drive down hill and with the wind. :D

Aux battery is in the rear of the gargo area, below the floor (on the right side as you look in). It is more difficult to change out than other cars, but not impossible. Here's my page on it:
    Prius Optima Aux

If the battery is showing as weak, I'd replace it before it strands you.

Good luck, and have fun on your trip. I think you'll find that the car just gets better with use, as you discover just how practical the car really is.

1 person likes this.
  3. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much. Those links were fascinating reading!
    I think I'll have the battery checked again before the trip, and see if it indeed should be replaced. I'd expect a battery to last more then under 3 years, but you never know.

I've learned here to run the oil level about a quarter inch below the fill line, and I have the psi for the tires at 41/40. The car came with Michelin Harmony brand, and look almost new.

Thanks again! Frank D.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll love the increase in mpg's down south LOL. Here in the Pocono's I average 47.6 but when we go down to Daytona in the winter I always get 50+mpg !

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Check all 5 tire pressures please

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're welcome! Sounds like you're getting the good education, and should be fine. :) The Aux battery that comes with the car is not the most robust thing out there. Three years is not surprising - depending on how it was treated.

A great idea. Be sure you've got 60 psi in the spare before you need it. This is often neglected, and can strand you just as surely as a dead Aux battery!

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Frank,

I'd also suggest checking tire tread depth. If less than 4/32", think about replacing the tires soon. Legal minimum is 2/32" while new tires have 10/32" to 12/32".

8. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'd check the oil level, and i'd have a quart of 5W30 or 0W30 in the trunk in case i needed to top off my levels in transit ... you're going quite a distance, and enduring some temperature changes

i'd check the coolant level and top off

i'd check and top off the wiper fluid reservoir ... you're gonna hit some bugs on this trip, and probably hit some rain, dirt and dust at some point

i'd check the tire pressure on all the tires and the spare, and i'd stow a tire gauge for the trip

i'd have a tire patch kit in the hatch, they sell 'em at pep boys and auto zone for ten bucks, and they'll do you right in a pinch; i've patched tires and they've lasted for tens of thousand of miles ... don't let an errant nail or screw ruin the trip

i would have my AAA card for sure :thumb:

i'd pack me some sani-wipes and TP, purell, a case of water, and some snacks ... don't forget the tunes :rockon:

have a great safe trip

9. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are all good tips.......you guys are the best.
    I'm having the dealer check for any codes on Monday. The battery upgrade does not seem too difficult. I could live with having to redo my stations, etc........I'm not too sure about hooking up another battery to keep it "alive". I'll have to reread it. I wouldn't want to mess anything up. We'll see on Monday.

It snowed here yesterday........can't wait to be down south!

Frank D.

10. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rechecked my tire pressure today before our trip next Friday. I was surprised to find that all four needed more air. About a month or two ago I had them at 41 front and 40 rear. Today they were all around 36psi.

I refilled them at 41/40. The tires were cold, outside temp was about 45 degrees. The tires are Michelin Harmony tires that are almost new.

I'll be driving at night most of the way down from NY to Florida, driving 1300 miles over a couple of days. Will the tires get too hot for a cold psi of 41/40?

The GPS is ready and mounted, the ipod touch is installed with charger, etc. Car is all cleaned, vacuumed, and waxed. My wife is packing and I can't wait.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Frank D.

11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We drive from the Pac NW to Maine 2-4 times a year, so long trips are our norm. In fact we just got back from such a trip yesterday, 7500 miles in the round.

Normal stuff, I would block ~3/4 of the top of the grill with pipe insulation, and if its cool ~1/2 the bottom. I would add a back cushion, and a elbow cushion for the centre console.

Change the oil, fill the tires to 40 psi, and if you keep the speed under ~70 you should get ~50-52. Between 70-75 my mileage drops to ~48.

Icarus