1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Before I Overlook the 2024 Prime...

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Bechi, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Bechi

Bechi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With a guilty heart I'm thinking it's time to replace my 2007 300K+ mile touring. Doing a quick preliminary calculation, it looks like the Prime would save me $0.03/mile, assuming my trips do not exceed the range of the battery, which would not cover my daily commute to/from work, and where I also do not have the ability to plug in. So, I'm thinking right now, the Prime doesn't make sense for me. However, I am hoping to retire, or at the least, revamp my work arrangements in the next year so that I would not be commuting as much or as often for work, but this is all rather nebulous at this stage. Before I rule out the Prime, what should I be considering or reconsidering? I'm familiar with the "regular" Prius, but have zero experience with the plug-in. How convenient is charging? At home, at another's home, or on the go? Honestly? Right now I'm thinking this just isn't the time, as my trips are too long, and once I "retire" and am driving less and shorter distances, I plan to be living in an area mostly without public charging stations (rural NH), BUT I don't want to dismiss the Prime out of hand. Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

Bechi

2. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    On the go, I find it a pain. Public charging infrastructure seems to suck or is ridiculously expensive like 4-20 $/kwh but that probably applies to EVs as well. At home on a Level 1 it's great. Just plug it in when I get back and it's good to go in the morning. You can also carry the small included charger with you if you're staying at a friend's and plug it there if it's not a public area. Takes about 10h or so to recharge.

If you've got the ability now or in short term future to charge at home, I'd say it's great. If not, depending where you live, check if there's any subsidies that make it worth it versus another model. Rural NH I'd test drive the regular Prius AWD.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can charge at home on a regular 120v outlet

4. N79PT

N79PT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    In my case I only charge at home. Usually it takes 2-8 hrs (level 1) depending on SOC. Perfect when the sun is out (solar) as I avoid being raped by high PG and E rates. Not so good for NorCal winters (frequent clouds). On trips I just run the ICE and don't bother to recharge. Range per tank is fantastic.
    Being retired with a great workshop = I don't drive much. Last year I put 5000 miles on my van, and that included a few CA trips. I also live in town so in good weather I will bike.
    Everybody's case is different. I will add that the EV range is surprisingly good. And it sure feels great to drive 95% of the time in EV mode.

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sounds like you already worked out the math. Something else to think about, larger battery offers someplace to put extra regen power. Rolling hills and mountain climbs offers opportunities to recharge = higher mileage. Most local, weekend grocery runs can be done on EV only.
    The down side is the plug-in charging takes a bit of time. Look around your work parking lot or ask the building maintenance people at work, if there's a plug you can use? It doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps.

6. Zyrian

Zyrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    2.5-3c/mile "savings" is def not the reason to spend extra money on a Prime (even if it's actual $5K MSRP difference, it'll take 200K miles to break even). I personally got it to play with EV bits without 100% EV commitment, plus I got my SE Prime for the price of LE HEV (under $34K including all dealer junk fees before sales tax). Would've still been driving my old car if not for the deal.

110V charging is sufficient, but the overhead seems to be close to 30% with the included cable (13.4kWh to charge 10.6kWh available battery), L2 is more usable and has less overhead. But I need to keep reminding myself that even though I charge about 200kWh/mo (~1000 miles EV), it's still not really saving that much money. It's still a toy.

7. Bechi

Bechi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now, I'm undoubtedly leaning towards the AWD model with the Prime tabled under "maybe down the road", but really wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything game-changing.

I'm currently living in NJ, which is considering a new EV tax, BTW (can't have anyone get out of the gas tax increase, don't ya know?), and could charge at home, but it would involve a long, potentially "special" extension cord to reach the outside outlet on the back of the house from my driveway. I plan on moving in the next year or so, so it's not really worth adding a new outlet closer to the driveway. I work in construction, so corporate policy is to place workers on jobsites as far from their homes as possible, so unless the EV range is more in the hundreds of miles range than the ±44 Toyota is quoting, I'm realistically only looking at driving a portion of one way on battery, with the chance, but not the certainty, of charging while at work, and honestly, I don't relish the idea of dragging out a charging cable, connecting, unconnecting and stowing, on a daily basis. However, a year of so down the road, "retired", I would be hypothetically driving less, with a weekly 40ish mile trip (one way) to check in on my mother and help her out with things, maybe charing at home a few times a week, and once a week at her house. I could see that working out, but would it be worth the premium on the Prime? No incentives here that I'm aware except on leases, and with over 300K on my 17 year old Gen2 and an almost 30 year old F150 still in rotation, I like to buy and keep my vehicles. Maybe I'm just talking it out to convince myself, but I do love the idea of the Prime. It's just as Zyrian said; in my case, I think it would be more of a cool toy.

Anyhow, I appreciate the input. My gut feeling has been that it wouldn't be a good fit, regardless of how much I like the idea. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding anything and dismissing the Prime out of hand.

Thanks!

Bechi

Trollbait and GcinFl like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a smart decision

Bechi likes this.