1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

before or after?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by craiger, Jul 10, 2006.

1. craiger

craiger New Member

We are planning on taking our month and a half old Prius on a week long trip to Florida beginning Thursday. The problem is our prius has aprx. 3000 miles on it now and we estimate that we will put on atleast 2500 miles on it on the trip to Florida and back. My question is should we change the oil now with 3000 miles on it or change it when we get back with over 5500 miles on it? Also, if it matters, we are going to switch to mobil1 synthetic. Thanks in advance!

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I'd wait until after. Some people like to do the first oil change well before 5k miles so I'm sure you'll get replies to do it before. It definitely won't hurt anything to do it before the trip, just time and money.

3. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I asked exactly the same question of my Toyota Dealer. The response I got was immediate! Bring it in AFTER your trip. In fact, the dealer noted that there had been some kind of communication regarding this question from Toyota to their dealers and it is Toyota policy not to perform the first 5000 mile oil change too early.

So, there you have it. Ta da bump. :) Enjoy your vacation.

By the way, I had 5750 miles when I finally went to my dealer for my first oil change. No problem.

Cheers

4. craiger

craiger New Member

Well if there are no objections then i guess i will change the oil after the trip. Thanks for your quick replies.

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craiger @ Jul 10 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]283900[/snapback]</div>
    Just as a matter of interest we phoned Toyota Canada for trip information for an upcoming 8000 mile trip and received, by mail, the most comprehensive map and info kit I've ever received. It is complete with places and events to look for and a list of every Prius service dept in the US and Canada. Even though we have the Garmin GPS unit we still like to study maps etc which give much more complete detail than it does. We will be requiring an oil change during the trip so will just get it done when convenient.
    Gary