1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

beginner question about battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fwellers, Oct 31, 2007.

1. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Been driving my new prius for about 2 weeks now. ( love it btw, not even done with first tank, getting average 44.8 on short 10 mile commutes ).

Anyway, I'll be going on vacation soon, and the car will be sitting for about 2 weeks. I've noticed that the car makes noises sometimes hours after it's been parked. I think that's something to do with something venting.

Between that, and the blinking light on the dash, and anything else I don't know about, I'm wondering how long can the car sit without the battery going dead to where I won't be able to start it ?

I think I'm talking about the 12 volt battery only, as by my narrow understanding, the big(traction?) battery has nothing to do with starting the car and will automatically charge via ice after the car is started.

I just don't want to come home to a dead car, and have to charge it. Maybe I'm supposed to disconnect the battery or something.

In the back of my mind I think I remember hearing that it can go a couple of months just sitting, but just checking with the experts first.

Thanks,

Floyd

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Congratulations and welcome to PC.

Before you go away disable the Smart Key System (SKS) and you should be OK. Make sure you lock it (ensures that doors are closed) and that all interior lights are off. Those seem to be the key reasons we kill our 12V batteries.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 weeks shouldn't be a problem. As Neicy said, double check all the lights are off and smart key system if you have it.

4. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 31 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]532824[/snapback]</div>

Thank you both for the reply. Sounds good. Smart key disabled.

Uh how ? haha.

I think I read in the manual there is a place bottom left of the steering wheel, down by the knees somewhere.

I hadn't found it yet. I'll look.

5. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know this is a different situation than what was asked about but...

The only time my 12 volt battery has gone dead is when I did a thorough cleaning of the interior with the doors open.

Since then I manually turn off the dome lights when working on the car with the doors open and have not had a problem.

6. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fwellers @ Oct 31 2007, 04:13 AM) [snapback]532829[/snapback]</div>
    I just got mine 3 days ago but finally read the manual last night. Although I haven't had my head under the steering wheel yet the book says there's a button you just push (I believe to the out position) under the steering wheel next to the tire monitor reset button. :)

Mike

7. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Oct 31 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]532902[/snapback]</div>

That's what I thought. Just gotta go look now. I've sort of half looked a couple of times and didn't see it.

btw, Congrats on your new car!!!!!!

8. hozozco

hozozco New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm going away for three weeks soon!

What's the longest someone has left their Prius alone?

I've don't have a smart key, so that's not a problem...should I get someone to come and start it half-way through my holiday?

Thanks

:)

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be good to go. I would advise against having any person unfamiliar with a Prius start the thing while you're gone. It's much too easy to accidentally leave it in some condition other than completely OFF with everything locked properly, and that would certainly kill the 12V battery.

10. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [frickin' dumb-@ss BB server...]

11. dthom71

dthom71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fwellers @ Oct 31 2007, 05:34 AM) [snapback]532820[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Thompson @ Nov 5 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]535264[/snapback]</div>

Last winter we left the Prius ('06) in the garage for 4 months. I had a Battery Tender on the 12 volt battery.

Upon returning, I found the traction battery to be at the exact state of charge (5 bars) that we left it in . The car started and ran like it always does.

This year, we will be away for 8 months. Fingers are crossed, but I don't expect any problems.

12. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Thompson @ Nov 5 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]535264[/snapback]</div>

Battery Tender! Excellent idea!
    I don't have my Prius yet and will be driving two (to choose from) this week.
    My question [obviously from an absolute newbie] is whether I can somehow charge the traction battery form external sources (like a house-roof-mounted solar panel) to further reduce gasoline consumption and emissions. I searched on "charging" and couldn't find anything that addressed this so I will likely be starting a new topic on this subject. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas or info about this particular subject?

Tom

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slothead @ Nov 7 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]536064[/snapback]</div>
    It would void the warranty. A full-blown plug-in conversion including a larger battery can be done for about $10,000.

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave Thompson @ Nov 6 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]535264[/snapback]</div>

I use battery tenders on my motorcycle & garden tractor. Both batteries would go dead in a relatively short time. Since hooking up the tenders I have no more trouble from either one. I've mentioned this before on this forum with no answers. I'm glad to finally hear someone else uses battery tenders besides me. I swear by them.