1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Bell the Hybrid" report available

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I want to thank everyone who signed and helped circulate petitions, Eric and Richard, to give hybrid electric owners a 'seat at the table.' All of the submittals about this bad bill are in so while Congress is out, I wrote up a summary report:

Rather than 'cut-and-paste' to multiple web sites and mailing lists, cut-and-paste SPAM, I've posted the report where everyone is welcome to read the details:
    GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars - View Single Post - "Bell the Hybrid Act" - Recess Report

This is August and many Congressmen and women and their challengers will be in their home districts getting ready for the fall election. They need volunteers for phone banks and other election duties. If you have time, drop by their offices and if you like them, volunteer. But most of all, make sure their staff, their legislative staff, knows the facts and data about HR 5734. Heck, if you can do phone-bank duty, you might meet some of the blind.

It is perfectly OK and even desirable to talk with the blind about HR 5734 ... not as confrontation but to seek understanding. If the blind do not hear your voice and opinions, we remain an 'abstract concept' ... something that can be railed against. But there is something about being 'up front and personable' that changes the dynamic and thinking. It can also change your mind too so don't be afraid to learn something from them.

As of August 7, 2008, the problems of HR 5734 remain and have yet to be fixed. But if we are fair, open, and always scrupulously honest with the facts and data, we will have a powerful ally, the truth, and know we have done our best.

Thank you everyone for your great help and support,
    Bob Wilson

ps. I normally post at two web sites and follow two YahooGroup mailing lists. Feel free to use any part of this or my other postings to share.

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your efforts on our behalf Bob. I don't want my Pri sounding like an ice cream truck!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My final submissions to NHTSA showed up at:
    http://www.regulations.gov

In the search box, enter:
    NHTSA-2008-0108

I waited until the submissions were available from the official web site because now others can site these sources. The other entries are from individuals and presentations at the meeting. The only thing missing is the transcript but GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars - View Single Post - Blind leading the blind, NHTSA docket remains available.

Now I can mention some other correspondence:

• shot across the bow - using the first petitions Richard and Eric collected, I sent a paper report with backup to all of the cosponsors of HR 5734 and sub-committee members. I pointed out that "the hybrid electric owners who will have to pay for it" have all but been excluded from the table and we think action should stop until those who pay have a fair seat at the table. There were 85 packages sent to the DC offices. I also included the Alabama Congressional delegation.
    • petition Congress - using all of the signatures from Hybridfest and Richard and Eric's petitions, I sent a "petition" letter to each representative's district office citing their constituents and asking that Congress hold up action on HR 5734 until "the hybrid electric owners who will have to pay for it" have a fair seat at the table.
    • news tip - "City Desk Editor" now has a backup CD-ROM with backup data and a suggestion that their automotive, technology or political reporter see if there may be a story. I also referenced: http://www.regulations.gov and search term "NHTSA-2008-0108."
    I have one remaining task, to write a magazine article and submit it for publication. This article will detail what has been going on with HR 5734. I want to submit it to an automotive magazine but other than one Australian online magazine, Autospeed, I don't know which USA magazine(s) to use.

I'm loath to send it to Edmunds who really looks like a "press release" re-publishing house. "Slate" is less bad but still 'online.' I'm thinking along the lines of:

• Motor Trend
    • Car and Driver
    • AutoWeek
    • MotorWeek
    • Parade (the weekly Sunday supplement)
    I'm open to suggestions.

The article I'm planning has human interest as well as hard technical data and will cover the players I've met. It will be a 'how to' article on political activism as relates to HR 5734 and with luck and my wife's editing, it will have broad appeal. I won't "go technical" except as small 'inserts.'

True, it might become a nice 'book' but I've had blood kin who tried self-publishing. They reminded me of the old adage, it is best to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of being an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt. <grins>

I have enough time, the next two weeks, to write the article and submit it for publication. Given the lead times, it might show up in a November issue, just in time to fend off "lame duck" Congressional action. The elections will be over but bitter, idle hands may be looking for revenge.

One thing you' all could help is keeping a weather eye out for:

• http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/ - look for announcements that relate to HR 5734
    • backover accidents - gruesome, let me know of any local incidents
    • prius or hybrid accidents - anything, even if it doesn't seem relevant
    • any Senate action - I've not heard of any and this is also a 'show stopper'
    I can't be everywhere and need your help. I don't mind the time and expense but every time you find something--that helps me a lot. You've made my efforts work and your support with leads and tips let's me know I'm not just a 'flake' (that didn't sound right.) Ok, so I'm a little nutty about this issue but I do need your help.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson