1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bells and whistles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justwatchme, Dec 15, 2004.

1. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

I've got my prius back in april with the base options (didn't want to wait for one with the options) and I just got a new job. I know the prius doesn't have much of an after market, but I want all the bells and whistles I missed out on so I want to try to get some of them like the NAV and bluetooth, do you guys know if it's even possible? :wink:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Certain accessories can be added on such as the Electrochromic auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, anti-theft and a 6-CD Changer. But as for nav, you'll have to look into something like a Garmin. Ditto for foglights (PIAA?)

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Folks are probably tired of me plugging the Garmin 2620 for a Nav System but it's cheaper and portable ( move it to another vehicle... went with a neighbour up in the mountains on Vancouver Island in a logging truck and discovered it had the main logging roads in the system and even the local airport runway.) Has US/Canada and Puerto Rico data. Just plug it into the power point and place it on the dash in it's holder. I call the lady who tells me which direction to travel " Nagging Jenny". Also leaves my Prius display available for other more important information, maybe for the rear TV display being discussed in another topic.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd take a built in NAV any day over the portables. One reason. SAFETY!! I had a 2610 which is a great unit and solid it on eBay. Why? I didn't want a projectile sitting on my dashboard in case there was an accident. A good alternative is the Garmin Quest. It is 1/3 the size of the Garmin 2610/2620 and has virtually ALL the same functions. It will also fit in your shirt pocket as it has a built in battery (2610/2620 relies on battery/AC for power). The Quest mounts on the windshield quite firmly.

I used my Garmin 2610 while I was in Europe this past summer. Worked great except when you get into the heart of a city with tall building and then you lose the signal and your routing too! The built in NAVs also have dead reckoning. The portables have to be wired for that and that is expensive.

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just for info the Garmin 2620 comes with mounting hardware from which the unit can be removed and a bean bag mount if you want to live dangerously. Happy you prefer the fixed unit... enjoy.

6. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

navigation would be nice but it'd prefer more of the other options like smart key system, and i'm planning on the EV button.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK just to stir the pot I like the iQue because it is also a PDA. Portable good Nav. Mountable! Only problem is it is a bit small but usable. Look into it. BTW I have the Nav system and now use my iQue on the road. Major down side is that it is not for Mac users unless you are a geek willing to force it to work on the Mac.

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    justwatchme, IMHO unless you do considerable driving around or through unfamiliar areas I agree with you ...the NAV system would take little priority ... I'd go for the smart key/EV options and perhaps a good audio system like the optional ( up here in Canada) JBL which we find great. Also if you enjoy biking I'd get the hitch arrangement.

9. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

so is it possible to install a smart key option into a base prius with aftermarket parts?

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, don't know the answer to that....sure someone here has that info.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Daniel,
    I can't say for certain, but I think adding SKS would be darn near impossible. Certainly is isn't a dealer installed option.