1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Benefits of wheel spacer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by WolfpackBill, Mar 14, 2016.

1. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 15" OEM wheels and I am not planning to get bigger rims because I drive almost 100 miles a day. I've been seeing many members with new rims and need wheel spacers to bring the wheels out toward the side of the car to make the wheels less "tucked" in. I understand the cosmetics of them and the need for them for brake caliper clearance and such.

I'm wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of wheel spacers and would it benefit me if I have no desire to change rims but maybe add wheel spacers to increase the width of track maybe? Any handling benefits?

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Spacers are useful if you have/get wheels that aren't the proper offset for the look you're trying to achieve. As far as performance gains, you likely won't see much more than a visual gain from adding wheels spacers with the stock wheels. Unless you're trying to achieve a more flush look, then its probably not necessary. You'll see more of a difference in going with a more performance oriented tire or swapping to wider wheels.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You will be changing the geometry of the suspension relative to each other, so there will be slightly more stress on the struts, the camber might change slightly, etc.

Unsprung mass will also be increased.

#3 xliderider, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Xterra72 and Dylan Doxey like this.