1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Benicia Bridge Crossing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kimgh, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm taking a long trip in the Prius tomorrow, and will be crossing the Benicia Bridge Northbound. Can anyone tell me whether the carpool lane is for 2 or 3 people (there will be 2 in the car) and whether the Fastrak transponder gets read through there? It's been ages since I've been through there, certainly not since there was a Fastrak, and I don't want to mess it up and incur a fine. (Note: I have the HOV lane access stickers AND the FasTrak transponder, I just want to know if there are any lanes to avoid, since I have read of someone getting a ticket for being in a lane he thought was OK when it turned out it wasn't.)

Thanks for any help.

BTW: if you're reading this at 10 AM Wednesday Aug 9 2006 or after, don't bother answering, I'm already en route (I hope!).

I will report on the 2000+ mile trip in the Prius when I get back, if anyone is interested. (Though maybe we've all got the picture of how these trips go already...) So: I'll report if I think I have any different insights to offer.

2. curtissac

curtissac New Member

Not speaking from experience because I don't have a "hybrid' transponder. But if you have HOV lane stickers you still have to have a hybrid transponder (different from the regular transponder) to use the carpool lane at the toll plaza. HOV access stickered cars can use the toll plaza carpool lanes, but you still have to pay if you have less than three people. (the carpool lanes on 680 through the San Ramon/Walnut Creek corridor only require two people, but the bridge requires three.)

3. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 8 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]300037[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. I have the transponder, so I should be cool with 2 in the car...