1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Alternative to Toyota FJ40

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by M8s, Sep 9, 2011.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I love the old school FJ40. The simplicity, the ruggedness, the function over form styling, the reliability, everything. I'd hoped that Toyota would come out with a smaller version of the FJ Cruiser, something FJ40 sized, but that didn't happen.

I've looked into getting a restored FJ40; there are plenty available if you have the budget. But restorations are a crap shoot and I much prefer new technology and safety features over decades-old authenticity.

So, what would you recommend?

Here's a little run down on our expected use. We're retired so it needn't be a daily driver. We live in CO in the summers and AZ in the winters so snow isn't an issue. No interest in rock climbing or technical off roading. But we're former motorcycle trail-riders and we'd like to do some dirt road rides and easy trail exploring. Nothing death-defying but (in CO) Rollins Pass, Cumberland Pass, Tin Cup Pass, American Basin and similar places in AZ would be nice.

Thanks in advance, Larry

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you can't find a FJ40 to restore, look at the Jeep CJ, YJ or TJ! Plenty of parts available and a lot easier to find! I have an 04 TJ, it's a blast...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Are certain models or years of Jeeps more rugged and reliable than others? I'm a little worried about Chrysler's financial troubles forcing them to do cost cutting and hurting the quality. Also, let's say the trail has a stretch (100 feet, say) of 6" to 10" steps; would a Jeep handle that okay?

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Personally, I'd stay away from the JK (2007 and newer) just because of the engine (it's a low torque V6). I like the TJ (1997-2006) because it has the coil spring suspension. The CJ and YJ (not sure what year they shifted from the CJ to the YJ) both had leaf spring suspension. Visually you can tell the YJ because it has the square headlights.

I don't think there's really been a bad year for Jeep, especially the Wrangler style. My 2004 has never had a recall, and I've had no problems with it.

I'd also recommend getting the in-line 6 (way more torque than the 4, which is useful off road). The earlier CJs had a 4.2L and the later YJ and TJs have the 4.0L. My 4.0 has electronic ignition and fuel injection as opposed to the distributor/carborator set-up of the earlier models. From a reliability stand point, the L6 is nearly bulletproof. My son-in-law is a mechanic at a family owned garage and sees the 4.0L engines all the time with 300K on the odometer and still pulling strong!

It also has A/C which was not even an option on the early CJs and some YJs. Something to consider given your location.

Mine has stock suspension and 30" tires, it would not have a problem with a 6" to 8" step and could probably do a 10" step as well. You can put up to a 31" tire on a TJ with out modifying the suspension, taller than that and you'd have to install a lift. The Rubicon model has locking front and rear differentials and sway bar releases that allow better articulation of the front axel. For what you're looking to use it for, a stock TJ Rubicon would be perfect, especially if you found one where the previous owner already put on a set of larger tires!

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are not a whole lot of options if you are looking for something modern - either a Wrangler (as already mentioned) or a Land Rover Defender. I think that you are right being worried about the Wrangler of the past 10 years or so - the Daimler and Cerberus years were not kind to the company. It does seem like Fiat has done commendable work with the company though time will only tell what will happen with quality.

The Defender is a beast of a car - I believe the current design is from the 70's but you will also have modern amenities added so it is a bit of the best of both worlds. Quality might be a bit spotty - you have an English design now manufactured by the Indians. But the truck does have one heck of a reputation.

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Trust me, I'm no fan of Dodge/Chrysler, but amazingly, it seems as though the Jeep Division some how eluded a lot of the problems experienced by the rest of the company. For one, the basic design has not changed in years. Second, there was not a lot of German influense to the Jeep during the Daimler tenure.

(I recall reading somewhere the German engineers and Auto workers despised being affiliated with Chrysler because of their reputation, and may have actually tried to undermine the company as opposed to make it better.)

What I do know is they tend to hold there resale value as well as cars like the Prius, even though they are in no way as refined or fuel effecent. Then again, Jeeps, like Big Green Eggs have a loyal cult type following... :D

7. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've just started researching but I think I'd like to get 1-owner which is completely stock. I'd rather avoid those that have lift kits and which appear to have had a hard life.

What do you think of this one? Jeep : Wrangler - eBay (item 150657532584 end time Sep-11-11 18:30:00 PDT)

I'd have to find someone in CT to check it out but it looks pretty good for what I want.

8. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Asside from the block heater that you probably won't need, and the lack of A/C that you will need, especially with a hard top, it's a good looking Jeep. I expect it will go for well more than the current Bid.

Go to a site called CarGurus.com, you can enter the specifications for the year, make, model vehicle you are looking for and then do a search. (It will also send daily alerts as well when a new listing shows up). What's nice about this site it it tells you if it's a good deal or not based on average selling price in your area. It will give you a good idea what a good price is and when to tell the seller he needs a reality check!

Also look on AutoTrader and Craig's List for local vehicles, just be cognizant of the ever present scams. I would never recommend purchasing a used vehicle before checking it out well, so it's just easier and less stressful to search locally.

Be patient, with winter coming, the asking price for Jeeps (especially those with soft tops) will start to decline. Spring is the worse time to shop for a Jeep, winter is the best!

We looked for about 8 months before finding ours. We are the third owner, but it only had 44K miles on when we purchased it this past summer. We had to drive almost 100 miles to look at it, but in the long run it was worth it. We paid about $500 below KBB fair trade-in value, so we probably saved several thousand over purchasing from a dealership.

9. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I definitely want a convertible, like yours. I thought these hard tops were removable but I just came from a dealer and the tops I saw (virtually every one was a hard top) appeared to be permanent. Also, I hadn't noticed the lack of AC on the ebay Jeep.

Waiting for winter is a great idea - I hadn't thought of that. One thing I've learned is to be patient. A good deal on something you don't want is not a good deal. Besides, I've ridden most of the trails in CO but AZ is still unexplored territory to me. That's probably where I should be looking.

Thanks for all the help.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First generation 4WD Ford Bronco with a 302 and manual trans.

If you really want to, you can cut off the window frames.

Either that or buy an old FJ and restore it yourself. Lots of dough, though.

New Jeeps have zero character, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  11. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The hard tops do come off, and you can replace them with a soft top. The new ones have a dual top option where you can order them with both. The biggest problem with the hard top is storage, they take up space, that and it's a two person job to remove them. The soft top can be folded down (so it's there in the event of rain) or removed completely. Either option can be accomplished by yourself. Where you're located the soft top alone should be fine. The A?C blows cold and the heater is more than adequate to keep you warn in the winter. The advantage of the hard top is insulation, both from the elements and noise. They are quieter. Having said that, my wife and I have no problem carrying on a conversation while riding in the Jeep, even with the top down. Face it, it's really not that big! While you're looking, go to 4Wheelparts.com and Quadratec.com and sign up for their free catalogs, you will be absolutely amazed at the parts and accessories available for the Jeep. After browsing those catalogs, you'll fully understand why Jeep stands for:

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

12. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Get a Suzuki Samurai they're small (fit down an ATV trail), tough, economical 20-25 MPG, cheap $1500-$4500 and they climb like Geckoes. :thumb:

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you're not talking politics, you make a lot of sense.

1 person likes this.
  14. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why do I have to constantly correct you PG? :rolleyes:

15. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True, but to navigate the 6" to 10" "steps" OP says exist on the trail, the Suzuki would probably need a lift kit... Also, they are not as plentiful as Jeeps, or at least they aren't around here because we considered the Suzuki as well as the Jeep when we were looking.

16. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OMFG!!! Jeep, LandRover -- reliability is horrendous!

I took the RAV over Engineer Pass a few years ago, at least the version from Silverton/Animas Forks to Lake City. It doesn't have the greatest ground clearance or low range, but it is extremely maneuverable and gets great gas mileage (27) for an AWD. I wouldn't try it going Animas Forks to Ouray, though.

For what you describe, a RAV, Highlander, or 4Runner makes the most sense, if you want to stay within Toyota.

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A RAV 4 isn't such a bad choice, but it's nowhere near as capable off road as some of the other vehicles brought up so far. Get a newer one with the bigger four cylinder or a V-6 though. The first gen, with that 120hp 2.0 four, was a slug. I drove one, a 4WD version, for years. Loved the size and handling and build quality, but the engine was in way over its head, even on paved roads.

18. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of the Toyotas, the only true off-roaders are the trucks, 4Runner, LandCruiser, and FJCruiser. Anyone who is serious about off roading is going to want something with a steel frame. Unibody w/AWD and no low range transfer case is just a disaster waiting to happen. If you're going to take the established roads (asphalt, gravel, or hard packed dirt), they will do okay, but if you get off the beaten path and do any exploring that requires crossing area with 6" to 10" steps, as OP indicated he would, I certainly would not attempt it in a RAV, Highlander, or any other car based crossover! And, for the record, how may Jeeps and/or Land Cruisers have you owned? Just wondering if you're basing your opinion on actual ownership, or something you've heard?

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Down in the fine print on the site, Toyota states the Highlander isn't designed for off road use. Expect for the rebadged Dodges(IIRC, the Compass and Patriot), all Jeeps are designed and made for off road use.

The Grand Cherokee, along with being pricy, is the main culprit for Jeep's reliability rep. Diamyler did stick a diesel in the earlier 2000s Liberties. Friend has a Rubicon, its body is different than the Wrangler, leaving the dealer as the about the only source for replacement tops.

If you are regularly going to be riding on gravel, check on how easy it is to disable the ABS, if equipped.

20. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for all the input.

I have to agree with Paul58. I want something that'll let us do 95% easy exploring (Shelf Road, Phantom Canyon) but also let us revisit places we went on trail bikes (Tin Cup Pass, Alpine Tunnel). Also, it has to be able to handle the occasional deep sand, which seems to appear in the most remote places.

Paul58, would a 4 cylinder TJ handle deep (12") sand? I've found a 2006 Wrangler "X" (whatever that is) with under 3,000 miles for a good price.

An Xterra or 4Runner would do the job but it wouldn't scratch the itch for a modern FJ40, which I've wanted ever since I first laid eyes on one.

I know I could restore an FJ40, or buy one that's been restored, but that would be a mistake. A few years ago I bought a mint 1967 Honda CL350. A one-owner, it even made the cover of a vintage Japanese MC magazine. But as a runner, it was a POS. Vintage vehicles are great for looking at but they just don't run or handle as well as modern machinery. Not even close.

A Jeep with a hard top is probably the closest thing to an FJ40 these days; you can lock it up and go for a hike (or a meal) without too much worry about getting ripped off. But there's somethig about that convertible top. We have an MX-5 (Miata) in AZ and the top stays down basically all winter. Just a wonderful experience. Unfortunately for us, swapping tops is not an option.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts and suggestions. It's been a very helpful learning experience.