1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Alternatives to Michelin Energy Saver A/S ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ngc4565, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let me start by saying that I have read many, MANY threads here on replacement tires. That said, I am not seeing a definitive alternative to the Michelin Energy Saver A/S in terms of an MPG champion for summer driving. Spring seems destined to make an early appearance here in the northeast, so our Prius will need to shed it's winter shoes within the next 4-6 weeks.

What are your favorites for low rolling resistance summer tires? Does anyone have any stong opinions either way on the Ecopia EP100? Thanks in advance for ant help you may offer.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The next best in terms in MPG is likely the Ecopia EP100. The dB Super E-Spec and Assurance Fuel Max are right in there too. IMO the best bang for buck is the Continental ContiProContact with EcoPlus due to its low price, great performance (better than the rest) and long 80,000 mile warranty. It is LRR although probably uses more fuel than the others. So if you want max MPG then choose one other first 3 I mentioned. If you want better performance and the long warranty and decent mpg the. Go with the ContiProContact. :)

The Energy Saver AS and Fuel Max are not great performers but they offer great mpg and a decent warranty.

2 people like this.
  3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh did you read my tire threads, particularly the tirerack.com tests? They can be found in my sig or in the GenIII Fuel Economy sticky section.

4. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You're RIGHT ON with the ContiProContact EcoPlus. One of the best LRR tres in a recent Consumers Reports Tire test. Great VALUE !

1 person likes this.
  5. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes - as I said, I have read many, MANY posts on this topic. The EP100 is the clear second choice from that Tire Rack review, but you just don't see a lot of people jumping up and down raving about how much they love them.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I don't have a subscription to CR so I just check all of the tire retailer websites, manufacture sites, and other review/test sites. Do you have any links for the test that you can post?

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok good. Some people miss the sticky and the other tire tests.

The Ecopia EP100 was clearly the next best choice for MPG but it didn't do as well in the dry braking test and it has a lower tread wear rating than some of the others. Since you asked about the best mpg tire I would agree that the Ecopia EP100 is what you are looking for.

People don't seem to be raving about them because they were overshadowed by the Energy Saver A/S and because they are a summer tire. Most people go with an all-season tire. Patrick Wong loves these tires but he lives in Arizona. My roommate got excellent mpg with them on his Corolla but he recently replaced them with the ContiProContact and likes those much better despite a small mpg drop.

Personally I'm torn between the EP100 and the Contis for my next tire this summer. By then the new Michelin Defender will be out but we don't know how it will compare. I like my Yokohamas but I am not going to spend so much money on them again nor would I spend that much on the Energy Savers.

8. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a link to that CR Test report, or could a subscriber post the more salient parts of it?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just realized that Justin has become the de-facto go to guy for tyre expertise. Quite a perk for us otherwise lost PC folk.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If so god help us all. lol ;)

11. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got to go an read that Tire Rack review again - have it in the original print somewhere...

IIRC the EP100 placed top in wet handling and second in MPG. I'll pay close attention to the dry braking. Thanks for the tip! Meanwhile we roll along on the Michelin XIce-2.

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Personally, I really like my Michelin Energy Saver A/S. This winter has been so mild they have truly been an "all-season" tire.

But, what I really like is the quiet ride.

1 person likes this.
  13. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would love to purchase a set of these in 195/65/15, but it seems that one cannot have these for either love or money. Hence my current dilemma...

1 person likes this.
  14. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

"A Greener Tire From Continental"

A hot trend in passenger-car tires is the pursuit of lower rolling resistance. That essentially means making tires that require less energy to roll down the road, thereby saving gas. Tire rolling resistance accounts for about 4 percent of a car's fuel use in city driving and perhaps 7 percent on the highway, according to government estimates.

A new all-season tire, the continental ProContact Ecoplus +, is a good example of how the effort is shaping up. in addition to getting an excellent rolling-resistance rating in our rrecently completed tests, it also deliverd good all-around performance in our braking, handling, hydroplaning resistance and winter-driving tests. Overall, it earned a test score of 82, which places it second among 26 models in the competitive all-season-tire category. It tied with the equally fuel-efficient Michelin Energy Saver A/S, which we tested for the July 2010 issue. And the $90 we paid for the Continental in notably less than the $120 we paid for the Michelin ( although prices can vary significantly by size and retailer ).

In past years, tires than provided low rolling resistance often sacrificed wet braking performance and tread life. But the Continental and Michelin show that tiremakers are developing designs with little compromise. Moreover, in contrast with some fuel efficient tires that are tailored for hybrids and only come in a narrow range of sizes, the Continental and Michelin are available in a range of sizes to fit many passenger cars.

We calculate that the difference between the most and least fuel efficient tires in our Ratings is about 3 mpg. Yhat could save you about $100 annually at the pump. But savings would be less when you replace average worn out tires. Overall, the nation could reduce gasoline use by millions of gallons if low-rolling resistance tires became the norm.

Still, the most important consideration is choosing a tire should be safety. So first, narrow your list of potential tires to those that get good ratings in braking. handling, and hydroplaning resistance. Then use rolling resistance as a tiebreaker.

The above was word for word from the CONSUMER REPORTS article.
    Also, the Michelin HydroEdge all-season tire was rated number on with an 84 rating with the Continental ProContact EcoPlus+ number 2 with an 82 rating among all season tires. The Michelin Energy Saver A/S was rated 3rd, also with an 82 rating, and the Hankook Optimo H727 was 4th, also with an 82 rating.

1 person likes this.
  15. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did consumer Reports really publish that with all of those spelling and grammatical errors?

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they become available again like TireRack estimates (March) then I would seriously consider them. :)

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely the EcoPlus. But after 9k I am starting to gain back most of the mpg loss from my Primacy tires so those are also worth a consideration.

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Note that the "3 MPG" difference in the CR sourced paragraph above should be stated as a percentage, not an absolute. There can be more than a 10% difference, which translates to more than 5 mpg in a Prius (only 3 MPG in a 30 MPG car). The difference between LRR tires is smaller - about 2-3% with a higher difference in cold weather than in warm weather.

CR did not include Nokian the manufacturer of my favorite LRR tires in their review (as they don't stock them, remember - all information, including from me, has biases). The WRg2 is a great All Weather tire, and their new eNtyre is for summer use. The WRg2 design emphasizes traction, sacrificing tread wear (they last about 50k miles) and incurring some tire noise (but not severe) while the eNtyre is quiet and long lasting, but not for bad weather.

JeffD

20. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yet another application of Murphy's law; these tires will become available the day after I buy something else!