1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Audio Mods in Southern California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by savingtheearth, Mar 2, 2006.

1. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

Does anyone know of some great places/people in the Los Angeles area for audio upgrades to the current 2006 system? I would like to seriously pimp my ride, but want someone/someplace that perhaps specializes in the Prius- or at least knows it very well- I want the system to be seamless. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I used to work for a great stereo shop who has a location in Culver City, called Stereo City. The owners name is Horst. You can tell him that Mike Smith, who used to work for Don at the other store, referred you.

I do not know their experience with the Prius, but I know that their work is very good, and they will be honest about their capabilities.

Their prices are also really good, and they will take the time to work with you, unlike the big chains.

Good luck!

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here's a review about installing a Bazooka subwoofer in a Prius. This was done at Circuit City in West Covina.

4. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

Stay away from CC and BB if possible! I did my research on the car audio forums awhile back when looking to upgrade the stereo and there are only a handful of shops in the LA/OC area that are widely known/praised for their work.

Beach Auto Sound (where i got mine done, and highly recommend. Reasonably priced too) in Huntington Beach

Speaker Works in Orange (Expensive)

Audio Advice in La Crescenta (straight shooter, very honest. Too bad its too far)

I have pics of my fiberglass sub install (10' Diamond Audio), and will try to post later if you're interested.

5. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I'd be interested in the pic and any other info on how you have your system setup. I'm interested in keeping everything stock except maybe speakers, sub, amps.

Thanks,

Ken

6. savingtheearth

That would be great to see your pics. I am in West LA- if you know of any others on the westside- let me know as well. Thanks so much for the help.

7. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

Ask and ye shall recieve.

I'm running stock HU with

-CDT Audio CL-61 components in front
    -CDT Audio CL6EX coaxials in rear
    -10" Diamond Audio DS3 sub
    Hifonics TX8805 amp; powering front components and rear sub. I'm using stock HU power for rear coaxials

I had initially wanted a JL Audio W0 or W3, but decided otherwise after hearing the Diamond subs; much tighter bass.

hope this helps

8. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Bingo !!! We have a winner. Your setup is just about what I'm looking for.

I do have a couple questions if you don't mind:

- why did you use the CL6EX in the rear instead of another set of components ?
    - how are the fronts hooked up e.g. how did you get the front signals combined ?
    - if you don't mind how much should I budget for this upgrade ?
    - I take it you're happy with this setup :) Was it a nice upgrade, day & night diff ?
    - any issues with phone/nav or the like ?

Thanks for your time,

Ken

9. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

-rear speakers are predominantlly used for rear fill only. Music just plain sounds better when there is a primary source; front comps. I'd even go so far as to suggest keeping the stock speakers in the rear.

-the speakers are powered from the (2) front channels of the amp, channels 3 and 4 are bridged for the sub

-a little under 1200 for everything. Purchased speakers from woofersetc.com, amp off ebay, and install, custom fab done at Beach Auto Sounds.

-its so much more enjoyable now with the upgrade. definitely worth it.

-i have a package 3, so no issues with that.

hope this helps

10. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I'm not sure with the package 3 but with the 8 the amp does the x-over internally, so I think those signals need to be combined. Then that signal goes to the x-over that comes with the components. Had you heard the CDTs before buying them ? I have Infinity Kappa's in my truck, which sound nice but always open to something new.

Thanks again !!

Ken

PS Any heat issues with the amp ?

11. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

I had originally planned on getting the Kappas after all the feedback on these forums. However, when doing a bit of reading on the Infinity, the reviews on car audio forums seems to be that they lacked midbass, and were a bit harsh due to the titanium tweeters.

For the price range that i was looking spend, <150, the CDT came highly recommended, and after listeninging to the speakers at Speaker Works in Orange, i was sold. There's a set of Cadence comps on ebay which is equiavalent in quality to the CDT, but MUCH cheaper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-CWM6-KIT-6-5-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

When choosing the amp, go to I'd suggest:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Directed-Audio-1100D5-...1QQcmdZViewItem
    Don't let the refurbished scare you, these amps are factory refurbished and deliver close to the rated power. I'd wish these were available when i got my Hifonics amp...

No heat issues whatsover, but i don't normally play my music loud for extended periods of time. There are plenty of room for the heat to dissapate, so i wouldn't worry a bit.

12. patakka

patakka New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have followed the subwoofer discussions on this forum for a while now and I think I'm ready to move to the next step. D=oes anyone know any good car-audio shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that can do these mods?

Thanks a lot.

I have a 2004 Package #9: JBL, 6-disc changes, bluetooth, etc, etc.

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Man... l love the mounting location of your subwoofer. Was anything special done to get the correct volume of air space in that custom box?

14. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

The size of the cubby is a shade over .68ft3 and in order to maximize the useable space, they mounted the sub past the imaginary coutour line of the trunk (you can see that the front of the box is wider than the cubby opening). Another advantage of the sealed box is that it will be able to handle more power, thereby eliminating any efficiency loss caused by diminished box size.

hope this helps

15. Black2006

Black2006 Member

I've used them as well and Horst is a good, honest guy, which appears to be somewhat of a rarity in the industry.

16. Dewg

Dewg New Member

I'm going to be getting the 10" Diamond subwoofer put in at Beach Auto Sound this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes with the custom enclosure and amp.

17. savingtheearth

Cool- let me know how the Diamonds are! I ended up with the JL Audios-- I like it.

18. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which JL sub(s) did you go with?
    How are they amplified?

I currently have a Diamond M5 series 12" in a sealed box (not well integrated, I'm afraid)
    running off a Xtant 3300c amp. I like it, but am considering doing the fiberglass enclosure
    with either a 10" Diamond D6 or JL W3. I'd be curious to know how the JL sounds.

I'll sell the Diamond 12 (with enclosure) if I am sure the 10 will do what I want.

Congrats on the system upgrades.....it truly is a whole different experience with some good equipment.

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(savingtheearth @ May 10 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]253176[/snapback]</div>

19. savingtheearth

The subwoofer is the 10w3d2 JL Audio it is amplified by a JL Audio 300/4 amp Sounds great.

20. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hngu7721 @ Mar 3 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]219879[/snapback]</div>
    Noice!!