1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Bluetooth phone to use on Verizon Network

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 09522, Jun 30, 2006.

1. 09522

09522 New Member

Just got my new Prius 2 days ago and it is awesome along with the chatroom. I've already saved hundreds by reading about the discounted warranty pricing (which I declined at the dealer but was planning to purchase later)

my question concerns a new bluetooth phone. any recommendations as to which phone to use currently being sold by Verizon?? Toyota recommends a Razr on its lets talk web site. A Motorola E815 is what I was looking at, but don't know if it will fully integrate. don't want anything fancy, just a small folding phone for my wife. thanks for any advice

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have an e815 with my 2005 and it works great. It pairs quickly. The ringing is from the phone and not from the car's speakers. I can't transfer my phonebook but I've got a workaround. With a 2006 you can enter them manually.

3. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aside from the functionality that Verizon disables (ability to transfer contacts), my RAXR V3c seems to work just fine in my '06. The Verizon RAZR can also be hacked to get around the limitation for transferring files (ring tones and media), but that hack doesn't seem to affect how it works with the Prius. In my case, the ringing comes through the car speaker as well, and the stereo cuts out automatically when you connect.

One sort of funny drawback with the RAZR is that it is thin enough to slip easily into the gap between the driver's seat and the center console. This is guaranteed to occur if you forgot to turn on the Bluetooth and you get a call while driving, and you're trying to fish it out of your pocket. The only way to retrieve it is to get out of the car and reach under the seat.

The downside of the Bluetooth link is that you have to turn on the Bluetooth every time you get into the car...the RAZR disables it automatically when it no longer detects the car (if it didn't, it would drain the battery much faster).

Another annoying thing is that the Prius disables many of the touchscreen keypad functions when the car is moving, so if you find yourself needing the numeric keypad during a call while you're driving, you have to try to use the voice recognition system to enter the numbers. Although it works, the problem is that the voice prompting lengthens the process to the point where some systems disconnect the call because they're not getting any input while you're waiting for the voice to finish up (FRUSTRATING). I don't believe there's any way to disable the voice prompts. In those cases, you really need to pull over, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a hands-free system in the first place! If you're just making regular calls and you have the frequently used numbers set up for speed dial, then the hands-free system works great.

- Doug

4. Tcrwfrd50

Tcrwfrd50 New Member

Just got my Treo 650 to work the other day. I really don't know how I did it other than playing around and clearing out my old profile in the car. Now it works perfectly. If it unpairs and I get it to work again I will ppay closer attention to how I did it.

5. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jun 30 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]279540[/snapback]</div>

Either you don't have auto-connect turned on in the Prius, or your phone it set to disable the bluetooth. I have a RAZR V3c and it doesn't do this. If I get in range of the Prius while the car is on, the phone and car auto-connect and everything works as you would expect. I just jump in, turn the Prius on, and the phone links up all without me touching anything else. The phone's BT has a built in sleep mode to keep power use minimal while still looking for a BT link. Check your settings out, I'd bet you will be pleasantly suprised. :)

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jun 30 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]279540[/snapback]</div>
    What I did was take off the A/C vent cover to the right of the MFD. Under that is a bunch of wires. There are two purple wires that controls the speed sensors for the NAV (upper one) and the phone (lower one). Cut them and put a switch on each (or a DPDT to control both at once). The one for the BT should be switch back when finished dialing as it also sends the signal to the Consumption screen so you loose the bars for that time (the computer thinks you've stopped). A 30-second time won't matter.

Got to here in order to see what's to be done.

7. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ttabbal @ Jul 1 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]279682[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius' auto-connect is on, and it definitely checks whenever I get in the car, but if I don't manually turn on the RAZR's BT power, it won't connect. I definitely looked...there is no setting in my Verizon RAZR V3c as far as I could see. If you could give me details, I'd sure appreciate it. Is yours a Verizon? I know they definitely screw with some of the useful features, and I'm annoyed and frustrated about that.

- Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 1 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]279799[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds easy, but I'm not quite ready to go modifying anything yet. I don't use the phone that much, but if that changes, I may consider it. Thanks for the details.

- Doug

8. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I've used an e815 on my 2005 for many months now with zero issues. There was one time I couldn't understand a caller, but they said "wait a minute", took their phone out of speakerphone mode, and all was well again. So their fault. I can't transfer my phonebook, but that was a Verizon issue, and I worked around it with a PDA. I leave my phone on 24/7, and my battery lasts 4 to 5 days at a time.

I'm happy. :)

9. 09522

09522 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wayne @ Jul 2 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]280196[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wayne @ Jul 2 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]280196[/snapback]</div>

thanks for the detailed reply

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 1 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]279525[/snapback]</div>

will it ring with a 2006??

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post so bear with me. some one else said that the e815 will not ring over the radio it is on. will it do it in a 2006?? also, do you have to sweitch anything on the phone to allow the car to recognize it as a bluetooth?? that would be a pain.

marty

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jul 2 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]280136[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, no problemo. :) I waited a year or so before I cut the wire. 95% of the calls I make can easily be handled by the One-Touch. 4.5% can be done using the NAV and the POI settings (I have a 2005 so I can do the NAV override), so this will take care of the remaining .05%

11. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tweet @ Jul 2 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]280340[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how it works in a 2006, but in my car the phone itself rings, which is fine. As with all Bluetooth phones, the audio system mutes when a call is received. My phone pairs with the car as soon as I turn the car on, it is fully automatic, and the only thing you have to do is remember to bring the phone with you. :)

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the Palm Treo 700w and it pairs well, but does not answer automatically with my '05 Prius.

However, in the HyCam, you can set the car to answer automatically.

13. 09522

09522 New Member

The downside of the Bluetooth link is that you have to turn on the Bluetooth every time you get into the car...the RAZR disables it automatically when it no longer detects the car (if it didn't, it would drain the battery much faster).

- Doug
    [/quote]

hate to belabor this point but do you mean that you can use the RAZR normally in the house and when you go into the car it will receive calls without enabling any additional buttons on the phone?? or perhaps you set the phone up in the bluetooth mode and it goes into the "regular" mode when it no longer senses a bluetooth connection?? since I know nothing about blueteeth, I am not even sure how to phrase the questions properly.

also, you said it will mute the speaker system and ring, what if the music system is not turned on? what type of alert will you then get? this phone will be in my wife's pocketbook most of the time(it is her car) so I want to make sure it will work properly.

thanks for the info

Marty

14. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 3 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]280381[/snapback]</div>
    Also in the '06 Prius.

15. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jul 3 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]280681[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, my mother in law just got a '06 Prius (Pkg 7), and I found that out.

I love her back up camera!

16. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tweet @ Jul 3 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]280680[/snapback]</div>
    Belabor away, my friend. This is how you learn.

Yes. Contrary to what I originally thought, my RAZR does automatically reconnect without doing anything to the phone when I get into the car. I must have assumed that it had to be manually enabled, then never experimented to find out otherwise. Although I can't explain why sometimes with the phone in my pocket, it doesn't seem to connect...maybe those times I turned off the BT in the phone for some reason, or maybe I just didn't wait, or maybe it did connect and I didn't realize it. Anyway, it's doing what I wanted it to, which is cool, and it all makes sense, too.

To tell you the truth, I always have the sound system on, so I don't actually know what happens if you don't. I assume it comes through the speaker just the same. Otherwise, it would be kind of stupid, and we know this is not a stupid car.

With the phone in her pocketbook, I think it will work fine.

- Doug

17. 09522

09522 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jul 4 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]281188[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for all the advice. I will buy one this weekend and let you know

marty

18. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a Verizon E815 paired with my 2006, and it does the following for an incoming call:

1) The radio/cd mutes suddenly (Where'd my music go??)
    2) The cell phone rings once (Why is there noise coming from my pants??)
    3) The cell phone does not ring the second time, instead the car does (The hell is that beeping noise?!)
    4) I notice the MFD says incoming call, and press one of off-hook buttons, and the call connects.
    6) Music resumes a second or so after the call hangs up.

As to your second question - once the two are paired you need to do nothing at all. As soon as you start the car, it pops up "Bluetooth Connection Successful" on the MFD, and the cell phone beeps. If you hop out (car still running) and walk away it will disconnect, and then reconnect on it's own if you walk back. When you shut off the car, it disconnects of course. The phone never need leave your pocket. (There are settings in both the phone and the car that control how often they look for each other, do they autoconnect, etc... - so it can be set to behave differently.

Note: You cannot however sync contacts from the Verizon E815 into the 2006 - you'll have to enter them manually. This is true with most verizon phones, for excessivly silly reasons.

-Ken

19. TroyBurnett

TroyBurnett New Member

Anyone have experience with the new Motorola Q Phone in the Prius 06?

20. 09522

09522 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tweet @ Jun 30 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]279507[/snapback]</div>

I can now report that the Motorola Razr works perfectly in my 2006 Prius with Bluetooth. It works as a regular phone outside the car and when inside it rings perfectly thru the speaker system. It even pauses a CD which is playing so you don't lose your place if you are listening to a recorded book. it is very cool.

thanks for all the great help I got in this forum.

Marty