1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Brake Pads for 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Aug 17, 2017.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At my 55K tire rotation I see that my front brake pads have no wear indicator left. Rear pads are great. I anticipate replacing the front pads at 60K.

Recommendations? I know aftermarket is cheaper, but I don't know if any are equal or better than OEM. Sometimes cheaper = less life, and even if there's a warranty, who wants to do the job again in a couple of years?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    brakes last for more than 100k miles just buy cheap ceramic ones and dont forget to lube the pins

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All depends on how long you want to keep your car. I have always purchased the top of the line that is on sale at the time I need to replace and I get the ones that don't do the "brake dust" thing.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't even know what's available other than "genuine Toyota". Considering you'll likely only do this the once, and the savings (if any) is only a few bucks, I would stick with Toyota. Might as well get the shim pack too. If you've got no problems with the rotors, and their thickness is still well above minimum spec., I would leave them be.

How's the wear look, uniform? A little early for them to be so low: have you followed the US schedule, getting an in-depth brake inspection (with pin lube) at 30K miles or 3 years?

upload_2017-8-17_8-46-59.png

Attached Files:

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've not measured the pad, but the groove on the front pads is gone (first indication of wear). No "chirping" (which happens when you hit minimum thickness). I normally don't wait for it to get that low before changing pads. Wear appers to be uniform.

Mendel Leisk likes this.