1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best brand of gasoline?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by garen2001, Jan 22, 2024.

1. garen2001

garen2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the best gasoline in your experience? Curious to see if Gen 5 owners have noticed any difference in driving performance, engine health, etc. in comparing different brands and/or octane levels. Cheers.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gasoline is a commodity. A station will get whatever gas is most available. Even if it isn't from that brand's refinery. Even if from a brand refinery, the differences in the starting petroleum and refinery operation result in differences in the gasoline. All this means is that the gasoline at one station may not be the same as from another station of the same chain.

The only difference of meaning between brands is being Top Tier or not Top Tier gas brands use better detergents and other additives, that will help keep the fuel system cleaner in the long term.

Higher octane won't help in an engine not designed for it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the gen 5 engine was designed for it as an option?

top tier gas> /

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Octane? There was that footnote about 91 octane for best performance in an early video. That could have been someone mixing up RON and AKI, and I saw that mix up on early gen1 Tundra labels. Most of the world, including Japan, uses RON on pumps. 91 RON is 87 AKI.

#4 Trollbait, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's probably what i was thinking of, i'll never stop making that mistake

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Walmart/Sam's w discount membership. Brand won't matter

7. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I've found that ethanol-free gas (verifiable, from reputable source) provides superior performance, particularly on my Gens 3 and 4. Haven't driven enough on the Gen 5 yet to tell, but it came with a tank of adulterated gas, so will know soon!

8. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Long term, top tier fuel will be the best for the car. On my last road trip to Spokane, I put in 92 octane just to try it. I thought it ran a little smoother but it could have just been the butt feel placebo effect. I still use 92 octane since it's so cheap to fill the tank.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, manufacturers do put high octane engines in cars, and say it is regular fueled for marketing sometimes. The 1.4L turbo in the 2013 Sonic was one such engine.

Cars run the engine at the cusp of knocking for best performance and efficiency. That can mean some preknock in the engine vibrations. An octane higher than the engine needs eliminates that potential running roughness. So the smoothness could be real. But that is about all the benefit for the higher price.

I think Canada premium is ethanol free, so there could be other reasons to pay more.

TGrracie, Downrange and HacksawMark like this.
  10. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    In the maritimes, Shell Premium 91 is usually ethanol-free, and only a nickel a litre more than the 87 Octane 10% swill. Car is obviously peppier and engine runs smoother and quieter.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Chevron's got a 4th octane level, their highest level, has a separate hose at the pumps, and a sticker saying ethanol-free. Ive tried it a couple of times: didn't really notice any difference.

TGrracie and douglasjre like this.
  12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In 2016 AAA did a little research that might be informative (if you’re interested, the actual results are written up in detail and are much more informative than just some of the condensed version). The pictures of certain parts of the engines might impress.
    Nearly every one has an opinion on which brand is best, or if there is a difference between brands. So the AAA report will only inform those who realize a need to be informed. FWIW

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can get the PDF here, Fuel Quality (Top Tier) Full Research Report-July 2016 | AAA Newsroom

The results were pretty much what has been said here; using Top Tier gas results in less deposits. That keeps the engine running smoother, and at its best efficiency. Top Tier gas may also remove existing build up. It likely won't cost more to use it.

TOP TIER - High-quality Fuel Performance Standard - TOP TIER™
    The AAA also tested out out the use of higher octanes.
    Don’t Be Fueled: Premium Not Always Worth the Price | AAA Newsroom

For the Sonic, that price difference would make getting premium worth it. The difference here is double. That leaves the price per mile higher despite the efficiency improvement.

Doug McC and Downrange like this.
  14. blobpet

blobpet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The comments mentioning that in some places higher octane gas having less or no ethanol is interesting and somewhat ironic to me because I had read years ago that adding ethanol to gas was an easy way to increase the octane rating. I believe that's why some people mod their cars to accept E85. I'll have to look for ethanol-free gas the next time I'm in Canada. It's possible I've used it but never noticed.

There is absolutely no reason to put anything other than regular grade in a Prius though. The ECU will not take advantage of it at all, since it's not a performance vehicle in need of higher compression.

Ethanol has less energy density, so from a fuel efficiency perspective, ethanol free gas should yield more miles per gallon.

douglasjre likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ethanol's effective octane is over 100, so it is commonly used to increase octane. The aforementioned Sonic has E85 fuel trim maps in its ECU, and some do convert to E85 or flex-fuel for the performance boost. Many race classes use methanol for the same reasons.

Gas isn't just used for cars. Other uses, like power tools and boats, weren't required to be ethanol compatible. They also tend to call for higher octane. To avoid potential issues for consumers, and to make ethanol free groups happy, some jurisdictions mandate premium octane fuel to be ethanol free.

16. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ethanol also introduces some oxygen into the fuel and reduces pollution. So yeah, going ethanol free will get you slightly higher mileage, but it's bad for the environment. Not sure everyone realizes that.

Oxygenate - Wikipedia

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EPA sets an oxygenate level for gasoline blends. Ethanol free gas has an ether or maybe butanol mixed in. I believe E7 is all that is needed to meet oxygenate requirments.

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many "Top Tier" refineries can you name?
    (Hint: refineries advertise to a different audience.)

Good News!
    If I'm accurately informed, the G5 does not have direct injection.
    That means that you can just about 'run what you want to.'

MORE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

What's your oil capacity??
    How often do you check your oil???
    How often do you change it??
    How often do you buy cars?

Gas preference is the LEAST important factor in determining car longevity.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In that case you REALLY do not want to be one of the......um......lesser informed people who try to pay more for E0.

MY mileage.
    Real-world mileage WILL vary.

douglasjre likes this.