1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best DC Charger to Test Prius Battery Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael H, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found a decent deal on a 2nd gen prius. But I am going to need to repair the battery. I have already known that I can test and only repair the needed cells (since I looked into the situation when I was buying mine a year ago). Looking at the forums and saw there were a couple of chargers being recommended by the users; such as the supermate DC6 or the Hitec 44151 Quad X4.

Just didn't know if these are still popular choice on the forums? Or if anyone could recommend me their favorite. I will likely want to charge 8 cells at time at least, as I would ideally like to get the car fixed in a couple of weeks.

Also what is the best way to power these? Should I use a desktop power supply (already have a few lying around), use a car battery, a trickle charger or a combination?

Thanks

2. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Gday! not many use dc6 or x4 these days because they don't discharge aggressively enough to properly evaluate the modules.

My chargers are ancient so I cant recommend them but most people (that have been successful) have been using reaKtor 300w or reaKtor 1000w both apparently work great but the 1000w is the most convenient due to its internal discharge characteristics.

Best thread to read all about this is the individual battery module replacement thread but start from about page 50 and read forward! >>>

>> Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 50 | PriusChat

cheers.. Matt

3. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the specific model and where to look in the forum considering it's almost 100 pages.

Before I buy any (at retail), I am going to try and find them or similar chargers on craigslist/facebook or etc. But little results are apparent at first looks since none look to be capable enough.

With that Reaktor 1000w, how many cells can I charge/discharge at one time?

And I'll likly make another post tomorrow after I read through more threads to confirm the best/safest/"cheaper" with my setup. As it helps that I have many of the tools and knowledge with electronics, just have to shift through the info ;)

Thanks!

4. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi yes almost 70 pages so far but the most valuable information is from page 50 forward ..

Single, double and even quad channel Reaktors are available, they are good for one battery per channel

good luck with it!

5. Fro-Dawg

Fro-Dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Michael H did you have any luck?