1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best deal on Optima 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SeeingDouble, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SeeingDouble

SeeingDouble New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazon sells the Optima yellow top for $158.07/free shipping. Is this the plug-and-play version? Is there a better deal out there?

My husband checked Sears with no luck. From what I'm gathering, the usual suspects don't carry Prius 12v's for some reason. Anybody know what the story is?

2. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just replaced my battery for my 2005 last weekend - I don't think Amazon stores have the NEW Optima Yellow Top with the correct new battery terminals.
    I spent $170 (free shpg) and got mine here:
    (I tried to post the link to "elearnaid" - but the site won't allow me to until I have made 5 posts. But - go there :)
    It includes the adaptors you need for the Prius.
    PS - If you or your hubby wants/needs detailed installation instructions - I have already provided them to other forum members. :)

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the correct battery is DSR46B24R - Amazon does NOT list this battery

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius battery is both small and has nonstandard posts. It uses external venting and a acid retention method called AGM, both important for the safety of the passengers.

Three choices exist for the North American market:
    $140 ish for a direct fit Battery at your Toyota dealer
    $170 for a Standard D51 Yellowtop battery and a conversion kit with free shipping at Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11
    or
    $200 with free shipping on the new direct fit Yellowtop at Optima BatteriesOptima Batteries DS46B24R YellowTop Prius Auxiliary Battery

Once you get the elearnaid kit, any more batteries you may need can be the Amazon $160 battery you found. http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00075OSD8?tag=priuschatcom-20

6. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree... go with the Elearnaid kit. It comes with all the post adapters. If you get just the battery from Amazon it will not work. The Prius uses different posts sizes and you will need the adapters that the Elearnid kit provides. They also have fast and free shipping.