1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best FasTrak/HOV Process for a new Prius owner?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by MattD, Apr 11, 2006.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I got my new 06 Prius on Saturday and have been trying to wade through the paperwork for FasTrak and the HOV stickers. There seems to be a lot of information floating around out there on this, I'd appreciate the learned advice of any fellow Bay Area Prius drivers of how to best make this process work.

-- What's the best way to get the FasTrak transponder for a new vehicle? What paperwork did you require, and could you complete it without getting the plates?

-- What's the best way to get the HOV given I don't have the plates yet? Is there really a process (as some claim) -- or do you really simply have to wait.

Any advice would be appreciated!

- Matt

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Matt.

The fastest way is to go to SF office of FasTrak. They will give you a hybrid transponder on the spot (open Saturday also). No waiting time to receive. Bring your contract since you don't have registration yet. They will also give you a computer printout as a proof that you have the FasTrak account.

Then, you go to dmv.ca.gov to download the application form. Include a $8 check and the proof you got from FasTrak office to DMV. Put down "NEW" at where license plate numbers are needed. Include a copy of your contract. Then you waitttttttt....

They will not give you your stickers until your license plate number is assigned in their computer system. What you could do is to make sure your dealer submit all the docs asap, no delay. Once the DMV cashed your check, you stickers would be on the way. This may take a while longer than people who already got their license plates.

Hope this help.
    Finally, don't try to cancel the FasTrak account once you get your stickers. DMV is now very smart about that. Can't cheat them. B)

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Or you could do like I did and fax your application into the FasTrak office. Funny thing is, right after they billed my credit card (the number was on the application) somone charged $2700 worth of plane tickets to the same account. Same day. Gee, isn't that a coincidence? <_<

4. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Ceric, I'll give this a try!

- Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Apr 11 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]237948[/snapback]</div>