1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best (funniest) Prius-related comment I've heard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bnlfanmatt, Dec 14, 2004.

1. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

One of my friends asked, "why are people buying Mercedes and BMWs when they can have this?!" :lol:

I laughed a little.

I do love the Prius, and as I'm on day 3 on ownership, I just want to drive it as much as possible.

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Answer to your friend's question: Some buy the more expensive cars because they just don't know about the Prius. Others buy the more expensive cars just to show off how rich they are that they can afford them. (Conspicuous consumption.) And a few (very few) buy then because 104 mph is not fast enough for them.

As a side note, BMW used concentration-camp labor during WW II. Those few still alive have been trying to get BMW to pay them back wages. BMW adamantly refuses.

4. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Well, cause many people think the Prius is a bit funny looking. And, many people would like something a little more luxurious.

Is a funny comment tho.

5. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

Oh, don't worry, I completely know why people buy more expensive cars, for myself, if I was rich, I'd buy a Porsche, Lamborghini, etc, but honestly, out of the cars $50,000 and below, I don't think I'd trade the Prius for anything.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    brand name. Kinda sad but true

A review on the C230 Kompressor sedan

First paragraph:

Ah, the brutally dismissive honesty of today's youth. Making the fatal parental mistake of asking my 16-year-old daughter's opinion of my latest tester (and, more importantly to Jacqueline, her ride to school), she said: "It's nice, but it's nothing special, except for that thing [the hood ornament] up front. People will buy it because it's a Mercedes." ...

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Two high school friends and I made a pact that if one of us won the lottery we would buy the other two Porsches. But these days, I think that if I won the lottery they'd be receiving Prii.

Though I don't know this as fact, I suspect that many of the really really nice cars I see on the road are not owned by the people driving them. I'm guessing that they are leasing them. This means that they can be all flashy and showing for a fraction of the price of actually paying for the car. So they are simply driving a facade.

There's always the approach via fashion knowledge. If you have something you wish to draw attention away from, get something to overpower it. So if you are lacking in some regard, run out and purchase/lease something that will cover whatever it is you are trying to hide.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    funniest comment i've heard about my Prius has to be my elderly neighbor lady who saw me pull up one day as her apartment is closest to the parking lot.

she said "You have the politest car i've ever seen. Most of the times i cant even hear you pull up even with all my windows open!!"

9. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

:lolup: That's rich.

10. DBM

DBM New Member

We have both a BMW and a Prius. And yes, I like the BMW because 104MPH is not enough and taking 90 degree turns at 50MPH is an absolute blast!