1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best hydraulic lift / jack stands for Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Berch1943, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I thought about starting to do my own oil changes and maintenance from now on. Can you give me recommendations on best tools and parts to use with a Prius for it's compatibility? Mainly for oil changes, but also for some other things. There's already a hydraulic lift I'm looking on Amazon http://a.co/0uvhHRA but I have no idea about it's compatibility with the Prius, regarding types of jack points, height requirements, weight, etc. And also here are the stands. The same idea. http://a.co/2BFHWrc

Also regarding the type of oil, I believe you use 5W-30 for it. So I found a good one based on reviews on Amazon. I still am concerned about its compatibility, it's says it's full synthetic oil, but I'm just not sure. Better to be safe than sorry. http://a.co/1PF4ghS

#1 Berch1943, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been awhile since I bought mine -- and I purchased a low-profile jack and I think it was much more weight capacity than the one you are looking at (maybe 3 or 4 tons....but....your first link says it is not available anymore....why not just order the pack below, which includes the stands....On some browers, my link below is not appearing -- if that is the case, just google Liftmaster 2 Ton Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack and Jack Stands Combo Set

But, and I may be wrong. I think you really need a low-profile jack. I could be wrong. If I am, Bisco will correct me.

Also, I don't think it really has enough lift height. Again, I could be wrong, but I think you want more height than this one gives you.

They list the weight as 9 pounds -- really? If so, it must be super alloy or super cheaply made. I would guess the latter.

Mine weighs 80 pounds. The decent light racing models weigh around 50 pounds.

I got mine from Harbor Freight for about $70 some five or more years ago. I took a couple of hockey pucks and carved out channels in them to provide a base atop the saddle. You can buy ready-made rail protectors if you do not want to go the puck route. I would highly recommend something, though.

Finally, if you are not to be doing much other than changing oil, you can cheap out, avoid the jack and make your own perfectly fine "ramps."

upload_2017-3-13_12-34-10.png

#2 cyberpriusII, Mar 13, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Investing in bigger low profile jack will make working on a Prius a lot easier. That jack might not fit under the front jacking center point and still it won’t lift the front end that high. Rear center jacking point of the Prius is so high that that jack can’t use it.

You can put the jack stands under the front subframe mounting bolts and under the rear beam axle near where the axle is bolted to body. That way you don’t need to use the pinch welds (area where you use the factory jack) if you use center jacking points.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Lots of good advice above.

I'm using a conventional 3 ton jack ($69 purchase on boxing day), it clears the front bumper ok. It came with a regular steel "cup" cradle, which I sometimes supplement, or sub for an all rubber cradle.

I've got both 2 ton and 6 ton jack stands, both are handy, depending on how much lift you need.

I never use the pinch weld, well except when using the scissor jack. I'm using strong points on the underbody, somewhat close. I won't go into detail, for one thing I'm 3rd gen.

Not mentioned so far: wheel chocks. A set of four solid rubber wheel chocks is a very good idea.

Last but not least: a large solid chuck of wood, something thicker than your rib cage. If it's going to be completely in your way, well, just be careful. But it can be a comforting insurance policy.

IMG_6453.JPG

#4 Mendel Leisk, Mar 13, 2017
  5. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good recommendations thanks! I would have no idea whether I need a low profile one or not. The Liftmaster I included , i have no idea whether that fits. And Im guessing I probably need 3 tons. Can you guys also post the links to the jack you are using as well?

6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I am being a bit lazy. It's a pain to haul out the jack, especially since I don't have use of one-hand at the moment. I did post a question very much like your question several years ago. If you google for the issue on PriusChat, I am sure you will find your answers.
    kris

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The main reason I like my 3 ton is the extra lift range. Mine is a complete cheapy, by no means low-profile, and not quick lift. But works. Maybe the 3 ton comes in handy if you're lifting something heavier. Used it on our daughter's Pilot, yesterday. The tires on that thing are heavy.

IMG_6435.JPG

#7 Mendel Leisk, Mar 13, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully one wasn't the donut spare like last time:eek:.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got familiar with that spare: had to lower it down and off to access rear differential. Was doing that fluid, plus engine oil and tire rotation. It took me a good 10 minutes to open the hatch, lol. Something flakey in the (electric) switch. Ended up releasing the top glass of the hatch (it worked), then prying off a panel and using the emergency hatch release. But yeah, that drop-down spare is not easy to deal with under the best of circumstances. It was around 30 psi and filthy. Can't imagine dealing with it on a road shoulder on a rainy night, ugh.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's a pic of my setup. I have the Harbor Freight 3 ton jack and it works well for the weekend wrencher;).

With jack fully extended:

IMG_0102.JPG

With jack removed and car resting on stands:

IMG_0104.JPG

Hope that helps(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Mind if i ask if you could get a closer picture of those jack points there? I just want to get an idea how it grabs on to the Prius for lifting, just to make sure I do it right. If you also got a name/brand for the lifters/stand, could you include those too?

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here’s what I use with jack and jackstands. Red square for jackstand. Green circle for jack.

Attached Files:

Just Peg and m.wynn like this.