1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best integrated satellite radio option

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pr4424, Dec 28, 2010.

1. pr4424

pr4424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have an 08 Package 5 Prius. I am new to satellite radio but I am considering getting now. I don't know if I want Sirius or XM or if there is even a difference any more. I do know that I want it to be fully integrated (meaning it shows up on the MFD and hopefully I can use the steering wheel controls). What is the best option?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. pr4424

pr4424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update, I've done some research and it looks like if I go with Sirius I will be able to get a discount because my wife has it too...so I narrowed it down to Sirius...now what is the best hardware to make it happen?

3. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm do a dash mount custom install witha dremal tool and make it look cool. Get a unit that is colored of course to make it look snazy.. Look at the pioneer version.. full color head unit and you will have to pull dash apart to do the install and you might be able to fit in the cubby hole below the OEM radio and do a custom there where it will be hidden once you close the lid.

4. kiettyyyy

kiettyyyy Plug-In Supply Engineer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously? If anything, pr4424 wants an INTEGRATED solution that's controllable via steering wheel & MFD controls.

There are PLENTY of kits available on the market, pr4424. XM and Sirius have merged about a year or two ago.. All of their content(combined) are available on both XM and Sirius.

The parts you'll need to make all of this happen are the following:

JBL radio headunit(I believe these are the only ones with the ability to use satellite radio, there's a SAT button on the unit..)
    XM/Sirius radio fit kit for your model
    Coastaletech receiver unit or a Toyota receiver.

You can see mine(XM radio kit with toyota 2004-2009 prius xm fit kit + factory radio) that was self installed below.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

5. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I understand correctly, if the car has a button "AM / SAT" then the car can have integrated satellite radio. The satellite radio is the extra unit placed below the console in your photo?

We recently purchased a used 2009 Prius, and I was wondering about the meaning of the 'AM SAT' button. If you push it when the satellite radio is installed, then you can switch between AM and SAT? I thought that the SAT radio was integrated into the tuner installed in the car. For me, I don't think I want the extra unit below the dash.

Thanks for the photos and explanation.

6. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That extra unit below the console is a Scangauge II. The XM Radio is under the passenger rear seat(where it goes with the factory). Everything is tidy and integrated into the Prius. You just have to run a cable from the rear passenger seat to behind the radio head unit.

7. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. pr4424

pr4424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it!