1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best iPod/Sirius option for 2007 Prius with Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tripletdad, Nov 12, 2006.

1. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

Hi all,

I am getting a 2007 with Nav in December. I've done a quick search of the forum, and haven't found a direct comparison of the various options out there for adding both Sirius and iPod functionality.

The only company I have found that offers both products is Vaistech. Factory Interactive (Sirius) and DICE iPod Car Integration Unit seem to offer individual solutions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which way to go? (If there is already a comparison online, I'd be grateful for a link).

Thanks!

-David

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Online comparation is available here, but there are many threads. Basically, the DICE is cheaper ($135 group buy, $159 normal), but it seems to be a little buggy with 2006-2007 so far (that should change). VAIS costs $299 (cheaper with group buy), but seems to work. There's a difference on how the iPod is controlled, IIRC.

I got the DICE, largely due to price and am happy with it. In fact, I got my iPod because of the DICE.

3. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 12 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]347842[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Does anyone know if DICE can be used successfully with the VAIS Sirius component?

4. markinlv

markinlv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [

I got both, the VAIS satellite (Sirius) and iPod interface units. I've been happy with both functions. It is quite expensive, especially if you have it professionally installed. I don't know if VAIS and DICE units are compatable.

Best of luck with your new Prius. I've been very very happy with my 2007!

Mark

5. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark T @ Nov 29 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]355541[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Mark,

How did you choose between VAIS Sirius and Factory Interactive (SiriusPrius)? I can't seem to find a good comparison anywhere.

Did you install it yourself? I've never done any car audio installation, so I'm a bit hesitant to try, but I might give it a go with the proper encouragement!

By the way, I'm LOVING my new 2007 too!

6. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

As of now the DICE does not work with Sirius. I have both and I'm waiting for DICE to fix their problem. They both work, but if you switch from iPod to Sirius you've got to shut the car off, otherwise it's completely b0rked.

Also, the song info doesn't always update properly. I am not happy with the DICE. Not at all.

7. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Nov 29 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]355547[/snapback]</div>
    I've hooked up my iPod to the aux input in the arm rest, and have a cupholder iPod holder thingy. I'm pretty satisfied on the iPod front now, since I can fully control the iPod comfortably, and it sounds great.

Now I just need to solve my Sirius jones! If anyone can point me to a comparison of VAIS vs. SIRIUSPRIUS, I'd be very grateful!

-David

8. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripletdad @ Nov 29 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]355552[/snapback]</div>
    I have the Vais SLX for XM radio and the SLI for iPod control. They both work perfectly together.

The SiriusPrius uses the Toyota factory Sirius radio that is "officially" for another Toyota car. The only issue with it I can see is that it is limited to 10 characters.

The Vais SLS is different in that it is the interface between an after-market Sirius tuner and the factory radio. You will have to purchase a Sirius Connect receiver.
    http://www.sirius-radio-satellite.com/inde...mp;Category=119
    Shop around, the price on these vary quite a bit.

The benefit is this tuner is more current technology and is limited to 16 characters.

9. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Nov 30 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]355702[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I am confused. If I purchase the VAIS SLS option, are you inferring that I will not have all the parts needed for the job? That I would actually have to purchase an additional receiver? The Vais website doesn't seem to make that clear. Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks!

10. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripletdad @ Nov 30 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]355765[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct. You would need to purchase a SIRIUS Connect Tuner.

For XM, Terk sells the XMDirect tuner separate from the radio interface. This makes it pretty inexpensive. This is what I did.
    Unfortunately, the Sirius Connect is not sold without a radio interface. You would need to buy one and remove the radio interface and connect the Vais radio interface.

Attached Files:

11. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Nov 30 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]355783[/snapback]</div>
    So does that mean that it really doesn't matter which version of the Sirius Connect I buy (i.e. GM, Toyota, etc.) since I will be disconnecting the interface anyhow?

12. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripletdad @ Nov 30 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]355969[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that to be correct but I can't say for sure. Vais tested their box with the Eclipse (SIR-ECL1), Panasonic (SIR-PAN1), JVC (SIR-JVC1) version.

It stands to reason if it works with these versions, it should work with a similar version.

13. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Nov 30 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]355975[/snapback]</div>
    Well I took the plunge! I bought the SIR-ECL1 from Circuit City yesterday, and ordered my SLS from Vais. Circuit City said they could install the whole thing for me for around $150, which is well worth it for me since I am likely to botch the job myself.

I've read hear and there about noise interference with Prius and Sirius. Is there something I should tell the install guy to prevent any problems?

14. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripletdad @ Dec 3 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]357016[/snapback]</div>
    Not with any Vais product. They have ground loop isolators on both the SLS and Aux in interfaces.

Good luck with it and report back how it goes. Try to take some pictures!

Regards,
    Bob

15. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I see a lot of replies based on Sirius Prius/Factory Interactive, I'm personally thinking that the Toyota factory receiver /wiring harness are the way to go. It seems cheaper, and if you check with your dealer and get it installed by their approved installer, you should have no warranty issues. See this post:
    Http://priuschat.com/Factory-Sirius-Radio-...ius-t32226.html

There is a description of a very similar install in a Highlander hybrid here:
    http://bruce.pennypacker.org/sirius-highlander/

Just a thought....

16. tripletdad

tripletdad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ May 24 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]449253[/snapback]</div>
    Mad Hatter,

The link above doesn't seem to work. Could you recheck it?

Thanks!

-David

17. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Oops. I've fixed it, I think Try it again - it worked for me this time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripletdad @ May 24 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]449345[/snapback]</div>

18. suefourmet

suefourmet New Member

YIKES!

I am planning on having a the VAIS (ipod) connection) installed in my new Prius. I was surprised to learn on picking up my Prius that I had a free 9 month subscription to Sirius. I didn't realize that Sirius was already installed in my Priius! Now, will the people who will install my VAIS ipod connection have a problem installing because Sirius is already there?

Sue
    suefourmet