1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best iPod solution?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 9G-man, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey guys,
    I think I've read every post about iPod adapters and I'm still confused as to what's the best choice. What I've found it this Neo iOn and an interesting video about it's use and basic installation. They offer a specific aplication adapter for the '04-'06 Prius and claim full functionality and steeringwheel controls.

ipod video

Please explain the association with Neo and iPod-to-car I've read about.
    What's the best choice?
    Neo's site is
    mp3mycar.com

Thanks

2. datavortex

datavortex New Member

This doesn't allow for control and information via the MFD.

The Vais Tech AIC-100i does: http://www.vaistech.com/aic100i.html

(and search this forum for 100i for info on group buys and user reports)

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thank you for the info....I'll check it out!

4. prius-yes-dubya-no

prius-yes-dubya-no New Member

I was told that the 06 prius already has a jack for the IPOD.

5. datavortex

datavortex New Member

I think this jack is just a generic mini plug, so you could plug in almost anything directly to the head unit. This is a good enough feature to make me wonder if I could swap out my '05 unit for this one, but it does not offer the functionality that the aftermarket kits do. This would include steering wheel controls, charging the iPod, and display of track/album info. Also you can't hide away the iPod in the compartment under the receiver with this method.

6. Armature

Armature New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I installed my VAIS AIC-100i Friday. As far as I'm concerned, it is the best! No question about it.

David

7. BobR

BobR Member

I kind of started this whole AIC-100i/Prius thing and have to say I'm very happy with mine.
    I have a 50 min commute to/from work with my new job and have been downloading more and more podcasts to listen to.

While I agree it isn't perfect, it is a lot better then the iPod2Car or FM transmitter.

Bob

8. jaybee

jaybee Junior Member

I'm digging my AIC-100i. It's renewed my interest in my iPod.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Forgive me for going OT, but Jaybee, what in the world is your cat doing in your avatar?

10. slortz

slortz New Member

It looks like a cat cartwheel.
    I have the AIC-100i and I also think it is the best solution currently out there if you want to control things through the Prius MFD. Still could use some improvements though, like the CD-Text display is sometimes a little slow, especially for the Track Titles. Also, playlists beyond 12 don't have buttons on the display to jump directly to them, you have to do a lot of button pushing to get to list 99. I also wish that the playlists would loop to the end if you hit the Back Track button while on Track 1. Lots of button pushing there too if you want to get to Track 99 in a playlist.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

If you enable "Disc Repeat", this will occur. I tend to keep "Disc Repeat" on permanently, and then change from playlist to playlist manually.

BTW, I agree with the other posters -- there are things I wish they'd add to the AIC-100i (buttons for >12 playlists, FF and rewind capability for individual tracks); but all in all it works very, very well. I don't know how many of these features are prohibited/made difficult by the MFD software itself, though.

12. Jay105000

Jay105000 New Member

I think it would be a very good idea to let Eugene know about the improvements, so the new version of the VAIS AIC could be improved.

13. slortz

slortz New Member

Thanks, bookrats!
    Love this website and all the informative people.

14. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

That's not a bad solution for a lot of people. I far prefer being able to be able to control my iPod from the Prius steering wheel controls, and view titles and such on the Prius' MFD screen; but for an older car without these kind of controls/viewscreens, this is a nice way to handle it.

16. heymikemason

heymikemason New Member

Hi iPod lovers,
    I was involved in the first group buy, have installed my VAIS and it works exactly as described- not without it's imperfections (limit 99 songs per playlist and, while it can handle 99 playlists, only the first 12 are one-touch- so make them your best!) but it works as described.
    That being said, I'm selling mine. I'm going to get a non-ipod specific adapter that can handle audio AND video.
    Anyone interested, please contact me at [email protected]. The unit is under 2 months old.

DISREGARD- it's been sold! :D

17. BD Renegade

BD Renegade New Member

Is there a solution out there that will let my iPod (video) output video to the screen in the car?

-jeff-

18. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

Check this out from VAIS Tech. Scroll down to the "A/V Integrated Solutions" and see if one of these will work for you. The A/V units also include dedicated back-up/baby camera inputs.

Several people have sucessfully installed the AIC-100 & AIC-100i (audio only), but I don't know about the AVIC units. AVICs are in the $600 range..... :(