1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Long-Lasting wax for new black Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Butkus, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Butkus

Butkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi All,

As noted in title, any recommendations for a good long-lasting wax that will give max protection for my new black Prius? I want something long-lasting that will preserve the finish that is easy to get in the UK....

Thanks!

Don

2. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The problem is a wax's durability is affected by heat... and as you know, black cars get extremely hot. Still, my suggestion would be to get P21S, a German car wax. I have tried Zymol with poor results. Don't really know what other waxes might be available in the U.K..

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use Black Max, but then I'm not really a waxing zealot.

Tom

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a rapper!

5. Butkus

Butkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It doesn't tend to get too hot here in England, especially compared to Hawaii! However, I understand what you are saying about heat, and will check out the German wax.

Over here I see Turtle Wax, Autoglym, Black Max, and Meguiars brands of waxes regularly at Halford, the auto shop. Did the Black Max seem to work ok?

Thanks,

Don

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Butkus, Jon had previously pointed out that the motorcycle wax S100 is the same thing. You can get it for half the price of P21S online through Amazon.com, autogeek.com, autobarn.com, etc.
    I just ordered some and so haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Also, see this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ooting/68155-best-wax-polish-winter-grey.html

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Black Max works great. As I mentioned, I'm not a big fan of washing and waxing, so I try to minimize the effort. I use Mr. Clean's auto wash system for washing, and Black Max for waxing. It goes on easily, and buffs off with minimum effort. The results are very pleasing and seem to last quite well.

Tom

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, for long lasting use a sealant, not a wax... The thread noted above has TONS of useful info already.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys have Klasse over there? For longevity, you probably want a synthetic coating rather than natural wax. Natural wax (e.g. pure carnuba) will give your black a deep shine. Klasse All-In-One for example is synthetic (you may have heard the term polymer wax) and will give a more durable layer of protection. Some combine the two with the Klasse AIO topped with a thin layer of carnuba.

10. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Collinite 845/476 is very well liked on several detailing forums and its supposed to one of the longest lasting/best protecting. You can order it on ebay for $13.

11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my Black car I use Liquid Glass and it really looks great even with the original 13 year old paint.

I had a detailer turn me on to Liquid Glass about five years ago.

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

I am a Meguiars brand user .... Buy the best I can usually find (yes the higher the cost here is typically the indicator of the quality of the product, all the products are good - but I believe using the best provides me the added protection I am looking for).

I also have a Black Vehicle - Prius 2010 II.

The secret to a lasting finish is ......... you guessed it - waxing your vehicle every 6 to 8 weeks. I live in the Tampa Bay area (high temperatures and high humidity) - I have owned Black vehicle for the past 11 years and what I have experienced is that the quality of the wax is most important followed by the frequency of the application of the product.

If you want a nice looking vehicle - wax you vehicle at least six (6) time a year. Having a nice looking car requires some TLC.

Mr. Bill

13. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The best long lasting show finish is Zaino. Easy on and easy off. Multi coats will keep your car looking new. I have been using this product for close to 10 years. You can forget all the other stuff.

14. Butkus

Butkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all of the great advice everyone!

15. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What have you decided to try?

16. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a black Lexux GS430. I use Zaino.com. Have for years and black is the test .As you know. Works great on all colors. This product seems to like the sun. I can be applied in the sun, so... give it a try.

17. Butkus

Butkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I am leaning towards Zaino at the moment, but have not found a good online source yet....Autoglyms new wax and Meguiars are also being considered....

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't like Zaino on black cars, I think it robs the paint of its depth. It also doesn't hide swirls and marring, even Z5 doesn't hide them well and you can't use rich polishes and glazes underneath so you have no choice but to keep the finish swirl free, which is hard on a daily driver.

For long lasting waxes I reccomend the Collinite line, I like 476. Or Meguiars #16 if you can find it. Both are thick paste waxes, so be sure to apply per panel and immediately remove. Don't let them dry or they will be a pain to remove. I have both and like the look of Meg's #16 but the Collinite lasts a little longer. I use them in the winter, they are very long lasting and detergent resistant, I'd say pretty close to Zaino, look a lot better, and hide swirls.

P21S/S100 is a good wax and very easy to work with but not especially long lasting.

19. feslope

feslope Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Known as UPGP in the detailing forums. Similar to Zaino only much easier to use and a lot of users feel it looks better and lasts longer. The trick with this product is to apply it very sparingly, 5-6 mls will do the whole car and will give you a solid finish for 4-6 months. Zaino is also a good choice. These newer Polymer type sealants hold up much better under the heat a black finish creates.

20. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP lives in the UK. It rarely gets hot :cool: .