1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best MPG Indicator?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PalominoPrincess, Apr 1, 2011.

1. PalominoPrincess

PalominoPrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not exactly sure what this readout is called, but it's the place that gives you the Best MPG number. It was stuck at 0 and we reset it, but now it's just dashes, on both Trip A and Trip B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this supposed to change at some point and give me numbers? Or have we just not figured out how to work it yet? There's just over 120 miles on it right now, if that makes a difference. I hate to call my sales guy and ask him, and I've not been able to find anything in the manual other than how to reset it.

I did take it in this morning and got the backup beeping disabled, the all doors unlock on the first unlock thing, as well as the seat belt beeping turned off. When I explained to the service girl what I was asking for, she said "That is the beeping-ist car I've ever heard of!"

And here are a couple pics of the new 2011. It does look much sharper than my '05 did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats best trip numbers, every time you reset trip a or b it will record it in the menu you show in your pics. I reset my trip a and b everytime i fill up, so that screen shows my past tanks numbers.

It's called trip past record :)

and welcome fellow NC Prius owner

3. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! Loving Prius #2 :)

So resetting it now, would give me the best mileage for the past 120 miles? When we reset it last night it had probably 80 or so miles, but it's just giving us the dashes. And it's also showing that the Trip is just a mile or two less than the actual odometer reading, even though I'd driven it all day prior to resetting. Maybe the numbers are still too small for it to figure out lol!

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just a suggestion--the owner's manual is filled with all sorts of good info. ;)

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

The screen you are showing me shouldn't need to be reset, it will show the last 5 or whatever number of trip data. When you reset trip A/B it will move the data into the screen you have their, and nice person it fills up it will push the bars/data to the left. The right most one is your current tank/trip data.

6. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is so true, however it's not helping me in this situation and gives no indication of why I'd be seeing ---- instead of a number. ;)

7. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a better pic. Even after resetting the trip buttons for both Trip A & B, they still look like ----
    [​IMG]

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok i see trib B past record, you said you just reset it, it says 127 miles. Ok so lets say you drive 100 miles on the new trip b, then reset it. It will move the 127 miles record over one spot to the left and the 100 trip will be right next to it. You may have to drive some before it wi start counting the new trip. But stop resting the menu in your pic, you should be holding down the trip button to reset trip a or b.

The reason why the rest of it is blank is either their has been only one trip reset, or you keep resetting the past record data.

9. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's only 127 miles on the car. When we reset it there was 80 miles on it, (we only reset both A & B one time because the --- had been 0's) nothing changed, except the Best 0 mpg & (0 MI) became Best --.- and (---- MI) which you see in the pic. We have not reset it again because we're thinking we either

a) messed something up
    b) haven't got a full understanding of what to expect here being the '05 had none of this!
    c) won't see anything until there are more miles on the car
    d) some other something or combination of all of the above

But we expected to get the info for the 80 or so miles we'd driven at the time we reset. It still says the same miles for the trip as the Odo has on it. We do know we successfully reset it because it went from 0 to the dashes we have now. I wasn't able to get any info from the manual other than how to reset it, which we did and appear to have fubar'd the display. :(

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will see the ---- change to a number the next time you reset one of the trip meters by holding down the trip button.

There is a way to reset the "best mpg" figure as well. It's easy to accidentally trigger this to happen. Thankfully, there is a prompt screen to confirm you want to do so so you don't accidentally do so.

The best way to see your current MPG is to have one of the trip meters (B or A) showing. This will show a "CONS" number in the bottom middle of the display. This shows the average MPG for either Trip A or Trip B. Displaying the Odometer will not show "CONS". CONS stands for consumption.

To toggle this, press the trip button repeatedly until "Trip A" or "Trip B" shows up. You can also show "Distance to Empty" and "Odometer" by doing this.

11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

It's better to explain in pictures. The above screen is the "HSI Display". It does not exist in the Gen II.

You see in the bottom middle has the "CONS." number (#5 in the picture), this is the average MPG for the Trip you have selected (Trip B or Trip A).

This display also shows you how efficiently you are driving your prius. Basically the "ECO" light (#2 in the picture) is on when you are driving efficiently.

Also, the left half side of the bar is electric vehicle mode only, it only uses battery power. The right half side of the bar is when you are using the engine.

The power section is used for brisk acceleration or uphill climbs. It uses extra engine and battery power.

Finally on the very left is "CHG" (charge) which is activated during regenerative braking, or simulated engine drag (when your foot is off the accelerator pedal).

12. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you sipnfuel! I did discover this yesterday when reading more about this display and what it all means. That CONS number didn't even click until then! I was pleased to see I'm getting 45mpg right out of the gate with ethanol fuel. I'll be glad when I've burned through this half tank it came with so I can put the good stuff in and watch the number climb.

I'm thinking that I'll reset the trip meter when I fill up, and hope that my dashes start registering something then. This one particular display has caused more confusion than the whole system in the '05 ever did, lol!

13. cnbmis

cnbmis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PalominoPrincess -- hope you're enjoying the new Prius :)

If you're interested in keeping a handle on performance, you should develop a routine of resetting one (and only one) of the Trip Odometers at each fill (and not inbetween). This will allow the "Trip A/B Past Record" screens you were looking at to be a useful resource for history. The other odometer can then be used for longer periods, business purposes, etc. I think of Trip A as my current tank, while Trip B will be reset around every 5,500 miles as a roughly seasonal tracker.

Also -- I noticed the "BEST" record will persist even if that particular record "falls off" the screen (e.g. is older than your 5 most recent resets) -- until it has been beaten by a more recent trip/tank.

When you're stopped somewhere and have some moments, experiment with both the "Trip" & "Disp" buttons to see how they behave in different combinations - and to see all the screens live, versus in the manual. Just be careful not to hold "Trip" too long, or you might reset the odometer accidentally :)

I'm glad you started to dig in to the manual -- even though it can be a bit repetitive at times, there is a good bit of useful information there (however, I think the info available here at PriusChat is much better!)

»Chris