1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best place to buy ipod2car online?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mjw, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mjw

mjw New Member

Any recommendations the best place online to buy an ipod2car WITH both cables I need for an '05? Looking for good price and to get everything in the same place. Good customer service is always a bonus (refund if it doesn't work for me??).

mike

2. BobR

BobR Member

I would suggest using Froogle.com.

My question is why would you want to buy an iPod2Car for a Prius?

Bob

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You would rather get a VAIS-100 which works better. Search the threads in here.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    cardomain.com

discountcarstereo.com (they have a new cable that replaces both AB-TOY and AB-TOYT).

eBay has several vendors, that's where I got mine.

Any other questions just PM me or post here. I'd love to help.

Cheers,

Curt.

5. keeponrunning

keeponrunning New Member

OK, I gotta ask, I have read everything people have said about the VAIS, and wondered why everyone likes it so much? I dont get it. you have to put everything in playlists, it only accepts a limited number of songs per playlist...... what a pain. What if the song you want isnt IN a playlist? I have 32 gig used on my ipod, 5000+ songs, and never know what I'll want to hear. I scroll through the cd's on there, see what sounds good and play it. With a VAIS, can you do that?

From what I saw ipod2car is like a cassatte adapter but the sound quality is greatly improved. That way you can play anything on your ipod at any time. If I can do that with the VAIS please let me know. Thats whats holding me back.... I dont like being pigeonholed into only having a limited amount of my ipod available to me.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Could someone post a link to the VAIS 100 product page?

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I can see the cool factor of text on the Prius screen, and there is a 'simple' mode form the VAIS product that does not put text on the screen, yet allows a full shuffle of ALL the iPod songs. No experience in the VAIS, just what I've gleamed from owners here...

And for more money, the option of putting text on the Prius screen using playlists did not appeal to me.

I wanted direct sound (no FM modulator) and full control of the iPod from the iPod. Bonus is that the steering wheel control changes tracks!

Only issue is sometimes the iPod won't turn on/off unless unplugged and plugged back in. OR...I just hold the play button on the iPod to power down, then it starts to charge the battery, which 95% of the time it's already charged, since ipod2car uses the Prius to run it.

All in all I love it. So far, 3000+ songs on shuffle with great direct sound for less than $200.

8. BobR

BobR Member

Finman and I post just about the exact same thing in each of these threads. I'm sure you could do a search here or priusonline and find the same information.
    I tried the iPod2Car with my 05 Package 4 Prius with the Coastal XM radio.
    The first thing is that it will not work with a CD Changer. The iPod2Car emulates a CD Changer and the radio in the Prius can't understand two changers. I don't have one, but from what I've been told there is a strange conflict that goes on where sometimes the changer works, other times it is the iPod2Car.
    I can confirm for a fact the iPod2Car will not work with XM Radio or as I was told by the Peripheral Electronics tech support (after waiting on hold for about an hour) any other device.
    For me, this was a deal breaker and I couldn't use it.
    Even after disconnecting the XM radio and flipping pin 6, the audio level was lower than the relative level of a CD or radio. The volume on the iPod2Car had to be turned up much higher; generally not a specific problem with music but was an issue with audio books as it amplified noise.
    The Vais Tech AIC-100i can emulate a Mini Disc changer that the radio in the Prius understands,
    http://www.cesium.com/Prius/mdchanger/
    so there is no conflict with the CD Changer. It also works perfectly with XM Radio and there is no issue with the volume.
    Because it has to emulate a MD or CD changer for text, it is limited by the radio. I guess the engineers figured that there would never be a disc with more than 99 tracks.
    I have playlists with over 99 tracks and using the random feature, all the tracks can be played, but the track number is incorrect. I have to admit, the interface does act a little unpredictable playing these playlists, but they do work.

Personally, I couldn’t be happier with the AIC-100i and more disappointed with the iPod2Car.

http://www.vaistech.com/

Bob

9. mjw

mjw New Member

I've been reading the threads... I'm sick of my FM modulator, but didn't want to spend > $100 more to get the text on the screen. (Now, if it could emulate the iPod software on screen, that might be a different matter.)

I have an '05 package #4 -- single CD, no cassette, no changer, no XM. From the threads I've been reading, the ipod2car works fine with that combination. From what I can tell, the issues some people have with ipod2car happen when they also have a changer and/or XM. If people with the same setup I have are also having problems, let me know...

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

mike

45.8 mpg on the first tank of gas (SF Bay area commute)

10. BobR

BobR Member

You should also check out the Dension ice>Link.
    http://support.dension.com/dension/icelink.htm

Bob