1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best place to pick up the ready signal in the engine bay ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jason in OZ, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    hello.

i am about to install some Hella DRL's on the prius.
    i have done a bunch of research, and even searched this forum with not much luck....

can someone please tell me the best place to pick up the "ready" signal in the engine bay ?
    i need an IG on feed for the DRL's. i don't want them on in ACC mode. only in Ready mode.
    there are some threads that have pictures of where to get the ACC wire, but none that i could see for the ready wire...

one option i have considered is a timer relay that can turn on once the 12v battery goes higher than 13.2v, and off once it goes lower than that. there is one such item on ebay.
    problem i have with that approach is that it has a parasitic drain of 1.5ma in standby...

1.5ma isn't much, but it all adds up, and i would prefer to have zero parasitic drain if possible.

Jason

2. Dundrinu

Dundrinu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Jason

Did you manage to install the Hella Drl? did you replace the rounded fog lamps?
    I would be really grateful if you could share your experience with the Hella DRL as i'm seriously considering installing om my 2010 prius

Many thanks

3. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i haven't installed them yet.
    i hope to get them installed this coming weekend. that will depend on my auto electrician though.
    he works after hours away from his workplace to earn a little extra cash.

i won't be replacing the round fog lights. those will remain and will continue to operate as usual.
    the Hella DRL kit that i bought is the LED DAY LINE 5.

as seen in this listing.
    NEW Genuine Hella Ledayline 5 Daytime Running Lights 12V DRL LED Complete KIT | eBay

once they are installed, i will post pics / video.

Jason

4. daniel6570

daniel6570 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used heater relay. its on in ready mode.

CatsAreGods likes this.
  5. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for the alternative suggestion !

will be having these installed in the next week or two, so i will get to see whats located in the best spot for the wiring harness for the DRL's.

they need 3 wires hooked up. one GND, one Ready (positive) and the third goes to the low beam positive.
    that way when the car is in READY mode, they will come on full brightness, and then if the headlights are turned on, the DRL's dim and become position lights.

Jason

6. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was more interested in this until I found what these things cost in the USA, but would still love to see what they look like.

Nexus 4 ?