1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best practice for front sway bar link removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusjunky, Apr 6, 2014.

1. priusjunky

priusjunky Junior Member

Both of my front sway bar links have a bad joint and are making a bad noise... I purchased the replacements and tried to loosen the nuts with no success. I put some oil to help loosen them and will let them set over night. I searched, but only found info on replacing the rear sway bar. Next attempt will include a breaker bar. Suggestions are welcome.

Lou

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tightening torque is 55 ft-lb. Are you using a 1/2" wrench and appropriate six-point socket? I suggest that you should buy a 1/2" breaker bar and also get a 3 ft. length of steel pipe (like a TV antenna mast) whose inner diameter will fit over the breaker bar handle if you need more leverage.

Also note that you can hold the stud in place with a 6 mm hex socket key if it twists as you apply torque.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's why I keep all the suspension in the front & back lubricated.

You can buy the pipe Patrick mentions at Home D or Lowes. Its electrical EMT tubing. Comes in 10 foot length.
    Bring a hack saw and cut it down right outside the store. Its very thin walled tube. I keep a breaker bar, proper lug nut socket, and a 3 foot piece in the trunk off all my cars for the lug nut that won't come off if I'm stuck somewhere.

But....

Most times working on the suspension or the caliper brakes it really pays to rent an electric Dewalt 1/2 impact gun. My local rental house gets $15 a day. Money well spent. Its really easy to pull a arm tendon really laying into a stuck nut scrunched under the car wailing on a breaker bar. I hurt myself like that and it required surgery. It was the unique (bad) positioning and load that caused it.
    Now I am much smarter....I let the impact gun do all the work just like any smart mechanic. But first I stretch.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After fighting these a while, I've used an angle grinder to remove the old nut, taking care not to nick the strut/sway bar end.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had to remove the upper side of the sway bar links when replacing front struts and haven't noticed a problem. Is the issue related to excessive corrosion due to road salt or other adverse environmental conditions?